Chapter Nine

After several moments of uneventful driving, a monster of a building comes into view, surrounded by several smaller structures. Fallen business signs and streetlamps block the road ahead. The car makes exhausted crunching sounds that grow more obscene the farther we drive. We share nervous looks, each of us knowing that it doesn't have much time left.

A sea of empty parking spaces lie at the entrance to the mammoth building, and Matthew pulls into one, relieving the engine. We sit in pure silence for a second before simultaneously opening the car doors and stepping outside. Heat smacks my face instantly, causing me to falter for a moment. We're definitely not in New York anymore. My legs wobble precariously after hours of being stationary, and the wound on my thigh throbs in protest of the sudden movement. Matthew's jacket falls to the ground and I have to re-tie it tighter against my wound.

The structure before us spreads out farther than it rises. Ancient paint curls off of the concrete walls, and glass doors at either end are coated in dirt and paint. In school, I remember learning about mass production and global corporations. Judging by the overturned shopping carts out front, this used to be an ancient mega-store of sorts.

"Should we go inside?" I ask, my voice piercing the heavy air surrounding us on all sides.

"It would be suicide if we didn't. We might find some gasoline or other items that could be useful." My mother takes Ariel's hand and Matthew leads us all towards the store. I limp hurriedly, catching up to him as we near the glass doors at one of the far entrances.

"You were very brave back there," I mutter. He shrugs away the comment.

"I did what any of us would have done."

"Not me." I shake my head, and he glances over at me. Sweat starts to form on my forehead as I fight to suppress the pain of my injury. "I wouldn't have been able to shoot that guard." He gives me his signature raised-eyebrows look.

"Are you still into that whole 'I'm unable to harm people' thing?" He asks, slightly exasperated.

"What if it's true?" I retort indignantly. "You know more than anyone how hard it is for me."

We reach the entrance and he pulls me over to the side, lowering his head closer to mine. My mother and Ariel observe the glass doors, struggling to find a way to force them open. Matthew's voice becomes gentle and soft, the way I'm used to it.

"And I know more than anyone that you're capable of great things." He smiles a little. "Remember when you learned how to fight droids?" I can't help but grin in return as I think about the rush of power I felt when he helped me to learn fight strategies. I nod.

"That was different though. I only did well because I wanted to impress you." He opens his mouth, struggling to reply, when my mother utters a triumphant shout. I turn. She and Ariel had forced open the glass doors.

"What are you waiting for?" She asks. Glancing at Matthew a final time, I enter the large building. Then I stop in wonder, not knowing what I expected to see but knowing it wasn't this. Aisles upon aisles of items fill the entire store, ranging from food to clothes to outdoor supplies. Judging by the aura of panicked disarray, the last people to be here must have been urgently stocking up on staple commodities.

"Bathroom!" Ariel shouts, pointing at a directory sign barely clinging to a dirty wall. Before any of us can say anything, she sprints towards the back of the store. We follow behind her.