Chapter Nineteen

Enna

I take a huge gulp of breath, having forgotten to breathe. I know I should be wondering why there is a giant monster standing in front of me. I know I should wonder why I am communicating with it--in English. I know I should wonder what's going to happen to Gale and I next. But, instead, I only puzzle over why I can't seem to crawl away.

"It's the fear that paralyzes you so," the giant creature mutters, as though it's reading my mind. Its voice, as soft as the hiss of a snake, seems like it's coming from within me and from without at the same time. Gale trembles beside me, and I can't manage to try to comfort her. The same thought chases itself through my mind: I'm going to die here, and no one will know or care. Just like the innocent people from the Depot who are almost surely gone, fed to this mutated beast.

Suddenly a guilt and sorrow unlike I've ever known rises ever upwards: why didn't I listen to Matthew? Why didn't I stay back at the hotel while I could, safe at least for the time being? But now I'm here, facing the repercussions of my actions. I can only hope that--

"Stop bathing in your self-pity, weakling," the beast snarls. Unexpectedly, a flame of annoyance sparks within me.

"Weakling? At least I haven't been hiding underground my whole life." The outburst catches me utterly by surprise, and the flame grows a little more. "Too afraid to show your ugly face on the surface?"

"Enna!" Someone chokes. I twist around to face Victoria, who had slipped back into the room. "What are you doing?" Gale elbows my ribs. The creature's muscular hand that holds the weapon twitches a little and its glowing eyes grow bigger, but it doesn't make any rash or violent movements.

"How interesting. No one has ever dared to taunt me before..." It whispers threateningly. I bite my lip, my face dripping with sweat despite the temperature. For a moment I fear that the beast will leap forward and attack, but it just starts to pace, its draconian tale whipping back and forth. How is this happening?

"But no matter. Soon you will come to terms with your new life, and then we shall dispose of you. The same for your...eh... friend." When it says this, it glares straight at Gale. I don't know how it can see through the pitch blackness, especially with a spotlight on its face, but I can't afford to care at the moment. I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. My flame of courage had long died out.

"What are you trying to say, weakling? Spit it out!"

"Pl-please tell us what's happening." A rough chuckle meets my comment, and I can't help but cringe away a little.

"Not today Ms. Price." The Master begins backing up towards the darkness. Then he speaks to Victoria. "Bring them back to their cell, Ms. Elliot." Elliot? "How rude to keep our guests waiting." With a cruel chuckle and the slam of a door, it leaves us alone to return to our chilly prison.

* * *

As we walk down the damp hallway towards our cell, I force myself to hold my tongue. But as soon as we reach the room, I lose all of my inhibitions.

"You're John Elliot's wife," I accuse, whipping around and pressing towards Victoria. Instinctively she backs away, accidentally slamming the cell door closed behind her. For a moment she looks utterly surprised, then her eyebrows tug together angrily.

"There's no need to broadcast it!" She hisses. Gale gasps. I can't help but see her in a completely different light now. She is no longer Victoria our captor, but Victoria Elliot. A monster's wife. Matthew's mother. My heart twists painfully and I have to lean on the wall as the truth of the matter weighs me down. How did I not see it earlier? Her golden eyes, rare but terrifying bouts of anger... They're all his.