Chapter Twenty One

Matthew

My spine stings in protest as I rise from the stone floor. Ariel lies curled up next to Alice. Alice used to be a desperately-needed reminder of Enna, but now I can hardly stand her presence. Why--why--would Enna want me to leave her? What could be terrifying enough that she would lose it like that? I remember the way she cried out to me, her body trembling with fear. Anger pumps through my skull, followed by something much more painful. My RScreen scars sear with pain for a moment, like they always do when I'm upset.

"Matthew?" Ariel mutters. "Are you awake?" She slips away from Alice and sits cross-legged next to me. I yawn and nod at the same time.

"Are you okay?" She asks in her small voice. I nod again, unable to look at her. Her innocence makes this whole situation seem that much more unbelievably cruel. She reminds me of Enna.

"You don't act like you're okay," she observes, poking my arm. "I think Enna made you sad." I clear my throat.

"Why do you think that?"

"Because you love her and she wants you to leave."

Well there it is. The truth--according to a ten-year-old--in a nutshell. I struggle with a reply.

"No, it's just... She... She's just scared. She doesn't know what she's saying."

"You're going to rescue her still, aren't you?" She asks knowingly. I can't help smile.

"Did you bug your parents like this?"

"My mom said that if I talked any faster I'd fly to the moon and back. Whatever that means..." I laugh until my stomach hurts, and Ariel joins me. Yawning softly, Alice starts to rise. After a moment, Ariel gets a real serious look on her face.

"Matthew?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm not going to see my mommy again, am I?" My chest compresses as my own mother's face flashes across my memory, young and beautiful and smiling. I set the child on my lap and repeat the same three, dreadful words that have been flowing through my mind as if played on a scratched record.

"I don't know."

* * *

Several un-memorable moments later, Willis appears in front of my cell's window. Shoving my uneaten tray of food aside, I jump to my feet stiffly. My arm tingles painfully as blood rushes to it. Note to future self: when sleeping on stone floor, don't use arm as pillow. After sticking a key into the lock and twisting the knob, Willis cracks open the heavy door.

"Elliot, come with me," he says lazily. I struggle not to show how relieved I am to leave this cell in front of Alice and Ariel, who sink back against the stone walls in disappointment. I pretend to swivel towards them in anger, but I mouth the words I'll be right back. They nod almost imperceptibly, and I turn to join Willis in the hallway. When he closes the door, I ask, "What are we doing?"

"The Master wants to see ya. Said he wasn't expecting you, but wasn't disappointed that you came." He raises his eyebrows as though this is a good thing. On the other hand, I can already feel myself growing jumpy, remembering Enna's fear. I wish Willis wouldn't be with me when I saw this "Master" so I could teach him a lesson.

We stroll down more hallways until we reach Base Central: for some reason, it's completely empty.

"Where is everyone?" I whisper.

"Sleeping," Willis answers simply, leading me into the elevator. I'd completely forgotten about the hotel. It seems like years ago since Enna and I had been together, safe inside its walls.