Chapter Fourteen

I wake in the dead of night--or morning, I don't know which--to a short signal sounded over the intercoms. This signal, Gale told me, wakes up the Workers. It is quiet enough to allow someone to sleep through it, but loud enough to penetrate the layer of dreams surrounding a sleeping person; or, should I say, a trying-to-sleep person. Today, it signifies the start of our mission. Nervous as soon as my feet hit the ground, I tiptoe towards the door, glancing over my shoulder to make sure that no one wakes up to stop me. The hotel room remains silent, save a few snores.

When I begin to twist the door knob, I pause. Beyond this door is danger and pain and cold, hard truth. Am I really willing to give up the safety of numbers? Am I willing to say goodbye to what's left of my family? Am I willing to never see Matthew again? My heart clenches at the thought that I might never hold his hand again, or feel his breath on my neck, or laugh with him until my stomach hurts.

My stomach hurts.

Before I lose my nerve or let my doubts carry me away, I swing open the door and close it softly behind me. The candle-lit hallway is completely empty, and I walk confidently towards the elevators. Rustling noises come from the closed doors I pass: the sound of Workers preparing for another day. I press the elevator button and wait anxiously. Please open up, please open up, please open up...

"Excuse me," a harsh, female voice barks behind me. I spin on my heel, terror closing in until my insides squeeze unbearably. My eyes meet a tall, slim, foreboding woman. Her pitch-black hair falls in perfect curls just below her shoulders, and her bright hazel eyes hold me captive. The sculpted curve of her body is made more pronounced by her dark, sleek clothing. Her pocket bulges with a hidden weapon. I'd almost think I recognized her features if I weren't so scared. She places her hand on the holster of her pocketed gun.

"Why are you up here? Who are you?" My heart hammers painfully in my ribs. I only have two options: tell the truth and be killed where I stand, or formulate a lie sensible enough to save myself. I choose the latter option.

"I'm Ellen Baker. John Elliot sent me to oversee the progress of the base here." The woman isn't convinced, though she slightly responds to John's name.

"Oh, really?" She narrows her eyes and grips her weapon more tightly. "How did you get here?"

My mind reels and I try to think of a legitimate answer that wouldn't trap me inside of it.

"I... I drove here with directions from an inside acquaintance."

"Who?" The word is harsh and direct. I cringe.

"Gale. Gale McAllister."

"McAllister?" The woman laughs so viciously that she has to lean on the wall to regain her breath. "You think she's with us?"

"I know she's with you," I reply levelly. "With me, anyways. John sent her here years ago to keep watch for intruders. He sent me afterwards, once the coast was officially clear, so we could both inspect your progress. We need directions to the actual base entrance."

The woman scoffs and relaxes a bit.

"Listen. You seem like a noble kid and all, but I don't have to let you in. I wasn't even told to expect visitors. You better hang back here and let me do my job." She begins to walk towards the elevator and I block her path, panicked. I can't give up now, when I've already risked so much.

"Has it ever occurred to you that the Hidden Allies know something you don't?" I hiss, making up words on the spot. "Things will not end nicely for you if you prohibit their visitors from entering."

At this the woman pauses in the middle of a step, her face turning ghostly pale. Suddenly, she pins me against the wall, her long fingernails digging into my shoulder. I clench my teeth to keep from making a sound. Even though I want to punch her, I can't help but notice how flawless her skin looks, how perfectly her hair curls at the ends. She's pretty.