A new life -2

A few months later....

I look at myself, all dressed up in my bridal suit sitting in a bedroom, waiting for the groom.
It is my first night. I think of Nancy and my tears constrict my throat to cause pain. Pain was everywhere in my body right now.

A click on the door startles me.

"Hey." He says. James.
James is the son of my Mom's best friend. She had met him at her best friend's place and was impressed just because he had come back from U.S. Pretty lame reasons to bind me with him.

That day, she had faked her illness to call me home. I had left Nancy without waking her up. I should have taken her with me. My mom had planned all of it. She had arranged everything in a minuscule. My marriage. And my prison.

••••••
♡Nancy's Pov♡
I wake up to see that Julie wasn't there. Usually, it never happens. Even if she wakes up before me, she would just lie there for me to open my eyes and she would kiss me on the forehead to wish me good morning.

She had not been okay since her Mother had visited. I sit upright on my bed to tie my hair in a bun. I walk slowly to the hall to look for Jules.

"Jules! Do you need coffee?" I say struggling with my yawn.

No replies. I look around the hall and I find no one. I go to the kitchen to find a note on the fridge.

"Oh God!" I whisper.
I try her number and I hear the cellphone ringing in the house. She has left the cellphone at home itself. I scroll down the contact list to look for Jules's Mom's contact number and I find it there.

I dial the ten digit number and wait for a response. The ringing stops finally and it goes into a long beep. I try again. Same thing happens.

Finally, I call up Anna to find out what has really happened.

"HELLO??" I say, freaking out.

"Yeah, Nancy? What's up?" Anna says coolly.

"What? Where are you? Jules just left me a message that she is going home because your Mom is not well. What is going on?"

"What? She is alright! Must be a hoax, Nan. Mom is right here with me, in Batra aunty's place. And I must tell you, you guys need to do something. Mom is planning to hook up Batra Aunty's son with Julie. Or that is what I think, she is doing. Hello? Are you there?"

"Yeah...yeah. Sure, Ann. I will call back later."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye." I say.

I sit down on the couch trying to contemplate what was really going on.

After a few minutes of confusion, I decide to go check for myself.

"Anu!! Come downstairs, please."

"Yeah, Mum." Both the kids say in chorus.

I go to Ms. Khanna's room to explain her everything.

"She will be fine." Ms. Khanna says assuringly in her fatigue filled voice. AIDS has taken on her completely. She is dying slowly but thriving to just see her kids having a happier family, which she could never give.

"Yeah?" Anu asks entering the room.

"Can you take care of her while I am away? I need not say this but I don't know why I am saying it." I say nervously.

"What happened?" Anu asks.

"Julie is missing." I say.

••••••
That day....
"MOM!!!" I shout with panic in my voice, entering my house.

Suddenly, a few hands grab me and I lose track of everything.

When I gain my senses, I see I am in the basement of a building with a guy whom I never knew.

"Who are you??? Where is my Mom???" I say with fear increasing in my gut. I feel helpless and clueless to what had happened to my Mom.

"I am James. And I am going to marry you. Your Mom is fine. Do not worry. She wants you to stay here till the day of marriage. I will take care of you like a princess." He says brushing my hair and with an evil smile. I wince at his touch and he touches my cheek, looking provoked.

"Get off me!!!" I yell.

"Okay. Okay. You are mine anyways."

"I need to go back. Please leave me. My girlfriend. She is alone. And the kids. Please let me go." I find words to explain and I beg him literally to let me go.

"No." He says and he leaves me there. I try to get up and I look at myself, all tied up.

That is when it dawns on me that I have been fooled by my Mom and am going to be forcefully married to a guy I have never even met before.

Panic settles in my heart and my brain goes numb.

"Nancy!!" I scream my lungs out to let out my pang of anguish. I cry for hours. Finally, I hear footsteps and a light coming through the trapdoor.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" My mom asks.

She comes and sits down to face me.

"Are you even a mother?" I ask.

"What I am doing is for your good."

"My good? My good eh? Tying me up in a basement and forcefully marrying me to a psychopath is for my good, you say? You are no less than that guy, Mum. Infact, you don't deserve to be called Mum. I hate you. I hate you so much!" I yell.

"Stop it! Have you ever thought about me? Have you ever thought what will happen if the society gets to know that my daughter is a lesbian? When your father died..."

"Stop it! Stop shedding your crocodile tears! I am tired of you, using my father's accident as an excuse for everything. So what? So what if I don't have a father. I am a lesbian not because I don't have a father. I am a lesbian because I was born this way! When will you ever get it? I...." I cut her off.

She slaps me hard forcing me to shut up.

"The society won't...."

"Hell with the society!" I cut her off again, this time by yelling louder.

She stands up looking at me and says -

"You will marry James. I will make sure you do. Do what you can. My priority is my prestige."

•••••••