A new life

Every end is a new beginning.
•••••
*Julie's Pov*

KNOCK KNOCK

"Coming!!" I yell dreading every footstep to the door.

I open the door to see my Mother with a wide smile and my younger sister Anna with a little basket full of chocolates.

"Julie!! I missed you so so much." My mom literally screams in excitement and takes me into an embrace.

"Hey Mum. Hey Ann." I say after she lets go off me.

Nancy appears at the door to welcome them in. She looks beautiful even in her casual tee shirt and a pair of jeans.

"Hello." Nancy says to my Mom, fully stressed.

"Hello dear." Mom says smiling at her. "You look beautiful as always dear."

A quick smile crosses Nancy's face but she soon enters her stress mode. I look at her and give her an assuring smile saying that everything will be okay. Though, I myself don't know if everything is going to be okay.

Ms. Khanna and kids come out of the bedroom to greet my Mom and sister. Mom dislikes Ms. Khanna because of her drug addiction in the past. So, she fakes a smile and takes her seat on the couch.

Ms. Khanna had left the kids alone at home, but when Anu came to see us that night, we went looking for her and she was found with a drug dealing teen in a tattered old house and we sent her to Mumbai for rehabilitation, along with the kids. There, after a few months, she was diagnosed as HIV positive and brought back to Delhi.

"I will just set the table for lunch Jules. Can you help me there a bit?" Nancy says hastily.

"Oh. Sure." I say knowingly.

"How are you going to tell her Jules? I am freaking scared!" Nancy spits out as soon as I enter the kitchen.

"Stop freaking out! I will take care. I need your support. I am already in enough panic, I don't want you to do the same. That just adds to mine." I finally say.

"Sorry Jules. It is just that I love you so much. I am scared to lose you." Nancy says in a whisper.

"I know. I love you too. I will never leave you, I promise." I say and I kiss her cheek quickly.

"Now, set the table and I'll be with them for a while." I tell her and leave the kitchen to join my Mom and others.

"....and then?" I hear my Mom giggling and talking to Anu.

"Then, that guy just kept on looking at my buttocks. He thought I really am a fart machine." Anu says laughing with my Mom.

"Is it that airplane incident?" I ask Anu knowingly.

"Yeah, Mum." She says.

"Huh???" My mom exclaims. "Mum?" She giggles again.

"You are funny dear." Mom says to Anu and I take a sigh of relief.

Anna looks at me and signals me to meet me near the basin.

"Yeah?" I ask her.

"See Jules. I know you want to come out to Mom today but I really don't think you should do that. She will never accept this. You better run away with Nan."

"You want us to elope?"

"Yeah. Clearly." She says.

"Okay. You are in University and all but still you are immature Ann. I am never going to do that. Even if Mom says no, we will wait till she says yes. And who needs a marriage? It is just for the sake of the society. I still can live with Nancy. And anyways it is not legalised in India. A lesbian marriage." I say, trying to sound cool.