Lives Change

That night when I had lied to my Mom about the sleepover at Sahna's was the night I fell in love with Nancy, head over heels.

••••••
Everything has been going the right way since morning. Mom spoke to Sahna a few minutes ago and she looks pretty convinced. I had helped her out in her work sincerely and she looks a lot happier now. I pretend to leave to Sahna's place and I start my bike to reach Nancy's.

"Tell me everything later. Every THING!!" Sahna had said when Mom had handed me the phone.

I had tried hard to hide the smile on my face and had hung up.

I reach the landing of Nancy's and the guard recognising me from the other night, opens the gate with a smile. 'What a lovely day!' I think to myself.

Ting tong

The doorbell to Nancy's flat goes.

My heart skips a beat at what I see.

"Dead drop gorgeous!" I exclaim. She looks beautiful in her peach bustier and a black long a- line skirt. A little skin around her waist catches my attention. Her hair lay open, caressing her breasts over the top. Her skin, flawlessly shining and her lips, as amazing as ever.

"Really?" She says with her cheeks flushed crimson red.

"I swear on all the Gods above." I say and I lean in for a kiss. She pulls me in to close the door behind me and kisses me back. I hold her tight in my arms to linger in there for a moment.

"What have you done to me?" She says almost in a whisper.

"What have you done to me?" I insinuate back in her ear.

Her smell compels me to plant a kiss on her neck. A kiss on every single inch of her body. I fight the urge to do that.

She quickly comes around and she closes my eyes with her hands, from the back. She leads me somewhere slowly. After a minute or so, she opens my eyes to a wonderful scene.

She had decorated the kitchen with tiny candles everywhere. They were flickering with golden aura, being the only source of light in the room. She had placed flowers in every corner of the kitchen. It smells like heaven there. I move around to see that the table was already set with two roses in a vase in the center.

"Beautiful." I mutter under my breath.

"Not more than you." She says squeezing my hand.

We sit facing each other. We eat and talk for hours or I don't remember how long. After all the talking and jeering at the stupid jokes we made, I realise that I have never felt so connected with anyone my whole life. I realise that Nancy is indeed my soulmate. This thing, right here....I have...

"I have never felt anything like this before." I finish the thoughts forming in my mind by saying it aloud.

"Me too." She says with her eyes welling up with tears.

"I have been single for a long time now." She says forcing a smile.
"After my parents disowned me, I stopped believing in love and relationships. I thought I will stand alone. I thought I will establish myself and show them that I am no less than anyone else. I have never felt so involved with anyone. Its been just two days and I already feel like we have been together forever. You are..." Her voice trailed off.
"You are special Julie." She continues.

I get up and sit down at the foot of her chair. I turn her chair around to face me. I cup her face in my hands.

"You are special too." I kiss her with all the love in my heart. Her tears rain down on our lips which stay sealed in unison.

•••••••••
Ms. Khanna sits up straight in her bed finally. Her daughter Anu seems to have grown up for her. She was the one taking care of her since the time of her discharge from the hospital.

Anu had called her aunt after Julie had dropped her and Niki at the hospital. Her aunt had taken care of all the formalities to be done and stayed till she got home. From that time on, Anu is the one taking care of her mother.

Ms. Khanna looks up at her girl, pouring down coffee in a mug for her mother. A tear falls down her cheek when Anu offers her the coffee.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Anu asks, worried.

"Yeah, dear." She says with a sigh. She touches her cheek and smiles weakly.

Anu forces a smile at her Mom. Anu was a troubled child. She had never never received the same care which her mother was receiving now. Her life was a teenage tragedy. She always had issues which Ms. Khanna had failed or refused to understand.
••••••
"I want to know about him. I want to know what happened between you both!!!" Anu had cried.

"He is as good as dead. Do not call him your father!" Ms. Khanna had yelled back at her daughter. She, as a Mother had always felt insecure that her kids will leave her for her father. Because their father was obviously rich and well-settled to give the kids all they wanted. In the court of law, at the time of their divorce, he had demanded the kids to stay with him but the court had refused because of his filthy drinking addiction.

"I want to know Mom. I deserve to know. I hate being called a bastard at school. Don't you understand Mom??? I want to meet him once. Just once. I promise." Anu had cried louder.

Ms. Khanna had left the room with a loud 'NO' as an answer and had left her daughter on the floor crying. She did not bother to come back and pick her daughter up or to wipe away her tears.

Anu had been facing bullies everyday at school. Her frustration over her Mother who refuses to tell anything, the questions which pestered her brain everyday and the bullying at school had compelled her to self-harm. Her body was full of cuts and bruises which she covered with full sleeve clothing and long pants all the time. Ms. Khanna was unaware of everything.
••••••
"Where is Niki?" Ms. Khanna asks Anu while having her coffee.

"Sleeping." Anu answers sitting herself on a plush chair across her mother's bed.

"Oh. Okay." Ms. Khanna tries hard to start a conversation with her daughter.

She lies back on her bed facing the ceiling and allowing another tear to escape her eye.

"I saw your father the other day. The day I met with the accident. He was there. At the mart with a lady. I am sorry I had refused everytime you asked me about him. I just thought you will leave me for your father." Ms. Khanna says slowly.

"He lives here?" Anu asks as if she did not even hear the last sentence.

"Yes. You can go and meet him. Your aunt knows where he lives. She is in touch with your father. I won't stop you." Ms. Khanna says in a lower pitch.

"I don't want to. Thank you for opening up finally." Anu says quietly and leaves the room.

•••••••••••