1.Behind The Curtains

I laid there without sleeping, my eyes heavy with constant crying.

I could feel the Sun playing hide and seek behind the curtains. Inspite of my sadness, I smiled a little when the light rays found me.

I pushed past the punching bag and reached the restroom. I took good time to wash my face so I don't look that dull.

"Alisha, What the hell are you doing there for so long?" Rahul, my brother barked. I rolled my eyes.

"Nothing much, bhaiya.  I'm batting and Lasith Malinga is bowling to me," I replied sarcastically.

"Stop talking rubbish and come down soon!"

_____

"Allu, listen, there are many competitions held in our college. Atleast, participate in one, please," my guy best friend, Nick told me. I played with my food and hummed.

"I am participating in the solo dance. And Nick is participating in the-"

"Mimicry contest," I said, cutting Shanta half a way in the middle.

Shanta took a big bite on her burger. Nick didn't pay much attention to us as he was checking out few girls who passed by the verandah.

"I am not interested Shanta. I will make a great audience, you know?" I said, gauging into my food.

"What's your problem, Alisha? You're ignoring everything and you haven't been the same for the past one month. What's going on?" Shanta enquired, her best friend mode being on.

"People change, dear. I can't be the same."

"Shut up! I already gave your name in the quiz competition," Nick announced causally.

"Well done, Nick!" Shanta high fived Nick.

I sat there not knowing what to say. It has been done. I have no say to it.

"Guess what?" Shanta asked.

"What?" I said, clearly irritated by their antics.

"Chief Guest for the Intercollegiate competition is none other than . . .VIRAT KOHLI." Both Shanta and Nick finished it together.

"What?" I squeaked out. It doesn't even make any sense.

"Yes, Allu. You heard us right," Nick said, grinning from ear to ear.

I suddenly felt very sick. I stood up and left for the restroom. I went in and closed the door behind me.

All those pain came flashing into my eyes. My eyes were filled with tears. I had no idea about Cricket or about Virat before six months but he explained to me. The one I loved with all my heart. He was a big fan of Virat but now he had broken my heart. I literally slapped myself for thinking about it. I don't want anybody to know about my love. Even my parents and best friends had no idea about my love.

As days passed, the competition started to catch fire. People kept running here and there, spending some more time in the library, dance practices going on instead of classes. 

I was excited to see Virat at the same time I don't want myself to act just like another fangirl infront of him.

I worked so hard and got into the final round of the Quiz Competiton which was held in the final day, the most important one if I might add.

The day arrived pretty soon. I was in the back stage bitting my nails. My best buddies Shanta and Nick came there to wish all the best. Nick gave a pep talk.

Nick had already won the mimicry title and Shanta came third in the solo dance. I won't say I was nervous because I was beyond that.

Just imagine you are representing your college in the toughest competition and to add the spice this show is being held infront of your idol and he is the one your boyfriend adores to the core. Plus, all your colleagues who wish you to win and others who want you to fail miserably are watching you with eagerness. I felt two dragons fighting inside my stomach.

I promised myself not to look at Virat but deep in my heart I knew it was going to be tough.

The Quiz show started. And I was doing well. I was leading the table with most number of points behind me was Nehru college. It was the last round.

The rule was if we answer the question we would be rewarded with 20 points if we pressed the button didnt answer we would get -15 points.

"So, the final question for the final round. Are you ready, guys?" the host said, sound blaring through the speakers. The crowd roared with excitement but my head hurt with all the sounds.

"Here we go, Which writer said, 'Where large sums of money are involved, it is advisable to trust nobody'?"

I knew the answer I pressed the buzzer. All were looking at me to answer then it happened. My mind was deflected by something else the big screen in the ground was flashing the image of Virat Kohli. I couldn't help I turned to the direction where he was sitting.

Suddenly I felt everything around me disappear. He was damn handsome as he was in the profile pic of Ranveer. I couldnt get my eyes off him. Then I realised something strange Virat was looking into my eyes. But why?? Not only him the whole people gathered there were looking at me. Why? I composed myself and looked away from them.

I was supposed to answer the question but the bitter truth was I don't remember the question. When I opened my mouth, the question was passed and I lost 15 points that means I am in the second. They repeated the question to the next one. I remembered it now but no one seemed to know then again I buzzed the button this time I wont get the points but I can answer it. The answer was Agatha Christie.  Everyone gave me a surprised look.

The prizes were announced. Miss Alisha Sharvan securing second place in the Quiz competition. I came to collect it from Virat. He handed me the trophy with a small smirk playing in his face. He congratulated me saying "Congrats, Ms. Alisha. A kind advice frome me," he said lowering his head a little, so he could whisper it to my ears. A strange feeling erupted in the pit of my stomach.

"Yes," I squeaked.

"There will be lot of distractions when you work for your dream. Just be true to yourself and work really hard." He said it so seriously that I felt strange energy pass in my soul.

It was the kind of feel you'll get after watching a motivational video. You know it'll only last for few minutes but for me it lasted forever.

When Virat smiled in an interview, many felt that he was handsome. But, I felt the content in his smile which he earned through his hard work.

When he won a match for India, people saw him as a match winner. But I saw all the pains, all the sacrifices he went through to be in this place.

When people get mesimerised by his eyes, I saw the determination in them.

When people drool over his abs, I saw the hours and hours of work outs and training which he went through to gain them.

When many girls saw him as their husband/lover, I saw him as my inspiration.

Author's Note:

Hello All, this is my debut novel. This fanfiction is definitely not cliche. I promise you that.

Hope you stay till the end of the story.