Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"I love you Rich." I whispered in his ear as we lay there together.

We didn't have sex, we just cuddled. Crazy I know, but it's the closest form of intimacy that I feel won't send me to hell.

"I love you too Stephie,"

Smiling I kissed his chin and closed my eyes.

"Now come on before we're late." He pat my behind lightly for me to get up.

Smacking my lips, I looked at him, rolled my eyes, and went to go take my shower.

***

"I'm glad you finally agreed to meet with me." The twins, Rich and I sat across the table from Aunt Missy.

"Yea, well I didn't have much of a choice." I scoffed lowly to myself.

Rich smacked his lips and hit my thigh.

"That's was wrong. I'm sorry Aunt Missy, I'm just still kind of salty about the way everything played out. You really hurt my feelings." Finally looking up, I gaze into her tear stained eyes.

"Y- you're right, I hurt your feelings and I was wrong... I was completely wrong Quanni. I was just..."

"Just what auntie? What was goin on that you had to treat me that way?" I asked with tears in my eyes. Rich shifted and wrapped his arms around my waist.

She looked at me and then the babies.

"They're beautiful... Just like you were when you were a baby." She smiled and looked away.

I shook my head at her in confusion. She's never acted this way, something is definitely off.

"I remember when I first found out I was pregnant. I was scared out of my mind, didn't know what I was gonna do, or how to tell your grandmother. She was so excited about me graduating high school and going to college to become the nurse of the family, she also wanted to be able to say she had one in hers. I had all together... I was gonna finish school and take care of my baby. I was gonna be a successful teen mother, but I was only 16 and mama didn't see it that way."

Looking away from the babies to her, I moved closer to the table. What she was saying didn't make since.

"But- you were 19 when you had Mickey." With my face twisted up curiously, I waited for her to confirm my statement.

She nodded yes and wiped a tear away. I watched her fiddle with her fork before nervously speaking again.

"I got pregnant with mine and Cecil's first child when I was sixteen, the summer before he went off to school." She spoke weakly to me. She was almost in a daze.

Completely shocked, I faced Rich who was sitting there hanging on to her every word.

"Well... What happened?"

She smiled at faintly and placed her hand on the table, slowly unfolding it. I took the folded paper and unwrapped it, discovering an ultrasound that belonged to Michelle Cartwright, my Aunt Missy.

"You lost the baby?"

"Well... I guess you could say that." She scoffed, looking away from me.