Pharaoh Atem: Catch me

You found yourself being shoved through the corridors of the Pharaoh's grand palace by two well-muscled guards. This might as well be the last time you walked anywhere; you were probably going to be executed. It was for a worthy cause, you kept telling yourself. That boy needed to eat. It was worth stealing for him to have a meal. 

You entered what you presumed was the throne room, what other room could be so extravagantly furnished: carved marble floors, gold-trimmed pillars, and colorful tapestries hanging between them. At the back of the room, on an equally extravagant throne, sat a bronzed boy with eyes like purple fire. They bore into you even from the distance. Upon closer look, he didn't look  at you like one would look at a criminal, not with malice or disgust, but with a kind of unreadable curiosity.

You weren't supposed to be staring at him like that. The slaves pushed you along quite forcefully. The priests and priestess bore into you with their glares. You were pushed to he ground again, and bowed your head.

"Pharaoh, this girl was caught stealing from a cart going to the palace."

"What did she steal?" His Highness asked. His voice flowed like the Nile.

"As many fruits as she could carry, and a loaf of bread."

"The cart must have been loaded with riches." You hadn't noticed he was right in front of you now. He tilted your head up to meet those curious cat eyes again. "Why take food when you could have taken the money?"

You were going to die anyway, why not try to change a life? "With respect, your Highness, I do not even know the currency I have seen so little of it. My life is the little, overlooked people who have never seen money and rarely see food. I-I suppose I wasn't thinking."

"You were thinking," the Pharaoh argued. "You thought about the people you cared about." Atem stood. "What is to happen to her now?"

"She will be executed," one priest informed him, in the sort of tone you would follow up with the word "duh".

"She will become a servant and live here in the palace." The Pharaoh's ruling surprised everyone. The poor were things, they were detriments on society. Executions were often and nobody minded, they mirrored squashing bugs. To take one of those bugs and invite it to work for you, in a palace of all things, was unheard of.

The next three weeks went by like a dream. The slave quarters were drafty, but Atem snuck in soft blankets, not just for you, but for the rest of his slaves as well. The others said you were quite the influence on him; he had never been this considerate before. The silks you wore to work were softer than anything you had ever touched.

Your days were spent tidying up the palace and learning how to cook. The slaves were all very nice to you. You even knew some of their families on the outside.

And then there was the pharaoh. He made sure you didn't work as hard as the others, and he was always leaving sweets on your plate. Sometimes it seemed he purposely put things in your path so he could catch you. You found it... nice.

It was the third week when you started to wonder what was going on back home. What had happened to that boy you stole for? What about your own sister, was she locked up now?

You decided to go to Atem. "Hey, um, I know I'm not supposed to be talking to you like this, but..." You were talking to a wall, waiting for him to come back. "What am I going to say? Rrg, what would a wall know?!"

"Y/n?" His Highness called from the hallway. It shocked you so much that you nearly fell backwards, but he caught you, just like he always does.

"I want you to do something about the poor population." You decided to use the least opportune time possible to ask. "There are people outside these walls starving and sick and they need help."

"So..." He put you down gently, but in a less-than-charming way. "What do I do about it?"

"Give them jobs here too. Give them food." You stood up and looked him in the eye. No one was around to catch you and the pharaoh wouldn't dare tell.

"You-you're not supposed to-"

"You care about me, Atem. You know it. Do something about them."

He was shocked you called him by his first name, struck speechless for a moment. "You don't get to call me- never mind. Why do you think I care about you?"

You stared at him. "You catch me when I fall."

Those big purple eyes, failing to escape yours. Tan skin darker than usual. "I will give them jobs, and you will be my bride."

His proposal almost made you fall over. The pharaoh, marrying a slave girl, one off the street no less! Egyptian law would never allow it, it was unprecedented... maybe, but laws didn't apply to you right now, standing in his own bedroom, staring him down. "I do."

//////////////////////////////////

Too bad 'I do' wasn't a thing for a couple of centuries. 

Here's the thing, I haven't watched a single episode of Yugioh where Atem was even mentioned. So I hope I did a good enough job portraying him ^w^'

Also walls give great advice.