Chapter 20 - Werefremds

Start from the beginning

I sat silently in Scott’s car.

“Please Natalie, please understand what you are asking me to give up.  I know it isn’t your thing but it is what I love.  It is my future.  I need this.”

“What do you think this Irin thing is Scott?  I know that we haven’t been told much nor are we even properly trained yet but this watcher thing is more than a pastime.  It’s more than something you do on the weekends.  I might be wrong but it looks like a full time job and a serious commitment.”

“Yeah ok, but that we still need to go to school.  And me winning or losing isn’t really going to change that.Let me do it today.  If I can run normally today at the tryouts then will you let me do it?”

“Scott this isn’t about asking my permission.”

“Isn’t it?  You are the Qaddis and from what I can see I am not much more than a sidekick to your role.”

“No!  We are equal in this, no you are wrong Scott.”

But Scott just shrugged and got out of the car.  He didn’t say anything more as we walked hand in hand into school.  My mind was so preoccupied with Scott’s accusation that I hardly noticed the blatant staring.  He gave me a quick kiss and left me at my locker.

The morning was difficult.  I couldn’t find Jari and I needed to talk to him.  I also became well aware of the looks I was getting, the snide comments became more and more direct and I was jostled more than was necessary in the hall between classes.

Gef, who was back to looking like Geoff, explained.Public opinion was that it was me that broke up the perfect couple, Kirsty and Scott, and the rumours oscillated between me using him for sex, using him to get good inside intelligence for my next scoop, and/or just being plain vindictive to poor, innocent, heartbroken Kirsty.

But whatever the reason I was the ‘other woman’ and every girl at school looked at me like was a Jezebel.  And the guys, well they looked at me up and down and clearly speculated, after all, as Gef explained, Scott was with me instead of Kirsty and it wasn’t because I was better looking. Great, just great.

Scott found me by my locker before lunch and pulled me into his chest while kissing my forehead.  “I hear that we have been very active!” he laughed.

“You had better be careful of me.  I am corrupting your innocence.” I whispered back as he laughed into my hair.

“You can corrupt me anytime.”

We walked into the cafeteria and stopped.I looked at Scott and he looked at me.  The great divide, whichever side of the room we sat on we would be alienating some part of the student body and making a statement.  With my hand in his he pulled me to a table which was normally vacant.  It was more or less off to the side and halfway between.  I was about to say something to Scott when Jari slumped into the seat opposite us.

“Young love, ain’t it just bliss,” he smiled sarcastically.

“I’m not in the mood for you, Jari,” Scott warned.

Jari smiled and shrugged, “You’re not my type either.”

I grabbed Scott’s arm to prevent him from standing to challenge Jari who was leaning back in his chair thoroughly enjoying himself.

“Don’t let him get to you, Scott,” I tried to defuse Scott.

“Have you seen this place for what it is yet?” Jari looked at us exasperated when we looked confused. “Do I have to spell everything out?  Have you opened up your eyes?  There is so much to see.”