Chapter 2

---Paisley---

I had already finished unpacking my things, added some posters of bands that I liked to the walls on my side of the actually quite spacious dorm room and placed the only picture I cared about on top of my dresser of my mother and I. The left side of the room was still bare, as my roommate still hadn't arrived yet. I secretly hoped no one would come and take away the silence I was enjoying and I could have the room to myself all year. But I knew that wouldn't be the case. At least that's what the transcripts told me as a simple F was typed next to 'Roommate,' indicating I'd have a girl to share my space with.

I declined another call from Ryan. He had called now about twelve times since this afternoon when I was outside and I made a mental note to change my number tomorrow so he couldn't annoy me any further. It had to be done anyways, now that I lived in a different country. I was happy to be away from everything that I had gotten into over the last two years. Happy to be rid of the disaster of a life I was stuck in while living in Vancouver. I originally wanted to go to college right after high school. I had a plan for the way I wanted to live my life, but that all changed and it took me two years to realize how screwed up everything had gotten and I needed to be in control of my life again. Starting with college. Far away from the mess, away from the drinking, all the wrong doings and the people who suffocated me. Hoping that making the move to college in a whole different country, to a place I always wanted to be; A place where I could start over where no one knew my name. I could be whoever I wanted to be. Maybe go back to who I was before, when I was happy.

I laid down on my bed in the corner of the room on top of my pink and black comforter, as I let the voice of Halsey run through my headphones and into my bloodstream. Her voice taking over my every sense as I listened to her. I closed my eyes, my lips whispering the lyrics with her, losing myself in my own world.

A loud bang startled me out of the Halsey bubble I was in and my eyes bolted open as I sat up quickly to see that my roommate had just arrived and thrown her heaps of belongings in the middle of the room.
Before I could realize what was happening, she was hovered over me, trapping me in a tight embrace falling on top of me, squealing and giggling.

"Rooooomie!" She squeals as she finally gets off of me and stands up for me to actually take her in for the first time. The few purple strands of hair are the first thing I notice in her long jet black hair. She's wearing far too much black make up on her eyes, two eye brow piercings make an X on her left eyebrow and she has an arm full of colorful tattoos. "I'm so happy to finally meet you! We're going to have so much fun this year!"

Just looking at her, seeing that she looks exactly like the type of people I hung around in Vancouver, I cringe at the thought that she may be like them. Although she is in college and those people had no ambition to do anything more than drugs and drink in their pathetic lives and she looks more put together than they ever did. I'm not usually one to judge by first impression, so I decide she seems nice just by looking at her and her bubbly attitude has me actually smiling. Maybe she wont be so bad.

"I'm Nova by the way," she tells me as she takes her bed sheets out of one of her bags to make her bed. Purple and black, almost the same as mine. I can't help but laugh at the fact that we already somehow seem alike, at least with how she dresses in purple and black plaid pants, cute suspenders and a black top that shows half of her skinny torso. It's definitely something I would wear and I all of a sudden feel like I'm gawking too much.

"Paisley."

"I just came from my boyfriend's dorm! You should see the guy who lives with him!" she exclaims excitedly, turning back around to look at me with her big blue eyes to take a good look at me. She looks me up and down completely, grin on her face. "Oh, maybe I should ask if you have a boyfriend first before I try to set you up with him!"