chapter 27

Chapter 27:

As I slowly made my way down the hall, cheering accompanied me, coming from the surrounding cells. A warm feeling crept it's way up through my chest, and my smile widened even more. I couldn't wait to see the look on James's face when I told him to prep the getaway car.

“Jaylee!” An unfamiliar man yelled from a nearby cell. “This totally makes up for the time you kicked me in the balls.”

I could have laughed. Taking one more look behind me before turning the corner, I noted that Moore had already managed to open two of the cells. Giving one last wave, I hurried towards the exit. Hopefully Ian and the others would make it out safely. As I passed the reception desk, I noticed that she was talking frantically into her phone. Her mouth fell open, and I gave a cheery wave. Just then, an alarm came on, filling the room with red light. Wincing, I turned away and continued out the door.

James stared at me, mouth agape. Beside him, the poor directer looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

“Wha-what happened?” Erica asked. “Where are your friends?”

I shrugged. “Dunno. I lost them in the panic. Patients just started getting out of their cells. I got out of there as fast as possible.”

The lie wasn't even half bad, but my delivery had made it obvious I didn't care. James was still looking at me like I'd grown a second head, and the head psychiatrist was booking it back towards the building. Emme was grinning, and Shay raised an eyebrow. I shrugged again.

Then, turning to Leon, I said, “you might want to get the car started.”

I'd been right, their faces were priceless. Taking my advice—as if in a trance—Leon and Erica both started their respective cars. Right when I'd began to get worried, Julian appeared around the corner of the building. The other three were close behind him.

“Got the number!” He waved a slip of paper in the air. “I hope we can find some way to trace calls.”

I hurried to meet Ian, doing the best I could to run in the crutches.

“What happened?” My eyes darted back to where Julian had already rejoined the others.

He shrugged. “Your plan worked. They were all so preoccupied with the escapies they didn't even see us. Well... not 'till the end at least.”

“We should go.” Audrey's hand on my shoulder surprised me.

I nodded.

“I assume you'll be explaining this little adventure to your police friends.”

I winced at the thought, but nodded again all the same. On the ride back, James and Erica were both deadly quiet. Had they been expecting this? It was impossible to tell. My friends weren't exactly the most normal, but they couldn't have anticipated this. I hadn't anticipated this, not from them or myself.