21 // Runaway

Vi and Ben sat in the sand watching as the waves crashed onto the shore. Clouds polluted the morning sky, hiding the sun.

Ben watched as Violet's eyelids became heavy and soon enough the rest of her weight fell onto his lap.

Ben's hand absentmindedly went to play with Vi's hair as she slightly stirred in her sleep. Ben knew she was having nightmares, she always had nightmares and Ben felt horrible because he couldn't do anything to stop them.

As he sat on the beach, a beautiful girl sleeping on him, he almost missed the sounds of sticks cracking behind him. Almost.

Ben didn't have time to look behind him to know that it was probably someone from the military. The last people he wanted to see.

He shook Violet's shoulder but she didn't budge. Not thinking, he scooped her up and started to run. Forgetting about the bags they needed sitting on the beach where violet had dropped them once the emerged from the woods. Ben didn't have time to get him as he sprinted down the beach.

With the sudden movement, shouts could be heard from behind him.

Shít.

As the screams intensified Violets started to squirm in her sleep and fell out of Ben's arm with a sudden jerk.

Ben winced as he heard a crunch as she hit the ground.

"Fućk!" She yelled loudly. Loudly enough for the attackers to hear.

***