17// With Me

The small kitten was wrapped up in a big fluffy towel as Ben's muscular arms held it up, despite its loud meows.

Violet was still in the bathroom cleaning up the large gashes she had on her body because, like Ben said, cats really hate baths.

"I don't like cats." Violet whined as she stepped out of the bathroom.

The first thing Ben noticed was the large gash on her nose and the scratch that danced down her cheek.

"I would say 'I told you so' but I don't think that would be appropriate for the situation." Ben said kissing the spot above the scratch on her nose.

"Wow, you're so kind." Violet mocked hitting him playfully. "What do you want to name him?"

"Um, how about Caspar?"

"That's an odd name for a cat but sure."

"Yay!" Just then there was a knock on the door and everything seemed to freeze.

The air hung uncomfortably in the house and the earth's rotation seemed to stop. Violet took a step forward and the small noise of her shoes against the ground seemed to be as loud as a cannon.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Ben hissed through clenched teeth.

"Answering the door."

"No." Ben grabbed for Vi's armed, but missed as she strode for the door. She tugged the hem of her shirt up, showing Ben the dagger strapped to her back.

"You're going to get hurt." Ben whispered. "Whether you have a knife or not."

"Better me than you." Violet whispered as her shaking hands grabbed the door knob.

"No-" Ben was cut off as Violet shoved him into the kitchen where he was out of sight and opened the door.

A bald middle aged man stood at the door, decked from head to toe in camouflage. "Hello." His voice was deep, as he gave a curt nod to Violet.

"Benjamin Paul Bruce, is reportedly staying here. Is that correct."

"What about him?" Violet asked avoiding the other questions.

"He's being stationed on the battle grounds. The government is questioning why they stationed soldiers in houses in the first place." His deep voice resonated through the otherwise, achingly quiet place.

"Maybe to keep the citizens who aren't fighting safe."

"You're not important." The words he spat were like knives, but Violet knew they were true. The country, and lives of others were more important than her.

"He has two days, and then I'll be back for him."

****

This is short and I'm sorry I haven't updated in so long but Happy Memorial Day!