Fishing.

*Modern day California*

"Alex!"

The call brought the dirty-blonde haired head up, and he looked over his shoulder. "Yeah?" His voice was deep, but there was still a hint of boyishness to it. 

"Where are you going?"

The voice of his guardian rang in his ears, demanding an explanation.

Alex didn't dislike his guardian, he was a decent man, he just wished he would allow him a little more freedom. He sighed and turned fully around, tackle box in one hand, and rod in the other. "It's Saturday, I'm going fishing!" He could see his guardian; Nick, standing on the front porch, his arms crossed and eyebrow raised. He didn't look happy.

"I don't recall granting permission for fishing today." Nick was using his authoratative voice, one that left little room for argument.

Alex groaned, tilting his head back as he slumped his shoulders. "I'm seventeen years old, Nick! I don't need a babysitter!" He shouted back without turning his head.

"Right, you're seventeen, which means you still need to listen to me. I'm fine with you going fishing, Alex. I'd just like you to tell me before taking off."

Alex straightened up and rested the fishing pole on his shoulder.  "Hey Nick?" 

"Yes?" 

"I'm going fishing." With that he turned around and continued to walk towards the docks.

It was a bright day with few clouds in the sky, a bit hot for early June, but nothing compared to what the temperature would reach later in the summer.

Alex had the deeply tanned skin and sun-lightened hair of someone who had spent their whole life on the California coast. Yet, unlike most, he had the looks as well; the athletic body, the handsome face and the smile - when he did smile. But to those who paid attention - and most girls did - people would say that his eyes were his greatest feature; swirled shades of blue and deep, just like the ocean he loved so much. If looks were all that mattered, than Alex had it all. If only life was that simple.

He reached the docks and quickly found his small boat. Tossing his equipment inside, he untied the mooring ropes and started the engine. 

He loved to fish, and he was good at it too. There was something about it that made him feel close to the water, gave him a sense of calm in his crazy life, and let him have all the time in the world to think. 

After pulling around to his favorite cove, he baited his hook and cast into the deep blue water. Then he set up his rod, leaned back in his chair and took a deep breath, letting it out in a sigh.  He sat there for a little while, then finally there was a sharp pull on the line. 

From skill and experience, he knew the fish wasn't caught yet. He held the pole ready, and when he felt another tug he pulled on the line hard, hooking the fish.

He struggled to land the fish for a good three minutes, and when he finally pulled it into the bottom of the boat he was panting. 

The fish was a good two feet long, covered in blue green scales, with several feathery fins lining it's sides. It lay in the bottom of the boat, mouth opening and closing as it gasped for air.

Alex hated to see anything suffer, so he quickly grabbed his knife and with a clean cut, killed the fish. 

He could see the life leave it, the scales lost most of their color, becoming dull and muted. Its eyes suddenly fogged over, and its tail fell limply to the bottom of the boat. 

Alex felt a pang of guilt, but he shook it off and tossed the fish in a cooler. Re-baited his hook, and cast again. This time there were no bites, and so he leaned back in his seat and closed his eyes, breathing in the salty air and soaking up the sun's warmth. 

Soon the hot day and quiet rocking of the boat got to him, and he fell asleep, his head slipping to the side slightly.   

His boat slowly began drifting towards a rocky shoal, growing closer with each wave. Alex slept on unawares, and soon his boat was less than two feet away.  As the hull scraped against the rocks with a loud sound similar to nails on a chalkboard, Alex woke up and sat bolt upright, wincing at the sound before quickly starting up his engine. 

He started to move out of the cove, when all of a sudden he heard a scream and before he could react he was side blinded by a large speed boat.

The shock of the impact knocked him off his feet, and he crashed to the bottom of his boat, which was now tipping on its side and taking on water fast.

Alex didn't have time to collect his thoughts before the speedboat crushed his boat and pushed it deeper into the water...taking him with it. 

In a few seconds he was under the water, and when he tried to swim to the surface he found that his right foot was caught in the crushed hull. He struggled to pull free as the remains of the boat sunk deeper, but his foot was stuck fast, and he had nothing to help pry apart the wreckage.  

He told himself not to panic, but his lungs were screaming for air, and his leg was on fire with pain. The hull hit a reef, and it shifted enough for Alex to wrench his foot free, he screamed in pain as his leg swung free, hanging crookedly below him, the bone definitely broken in at least one area. 

He didn't think about how painful it would be to swim, he just started to kick upward. As he looked towards the surface, terror spread across his face, and in a split second he realized he wouldn't be able to move in time as the other half of the hull sank directly towards him.

He made a desperate effort to swim free, but he was stopped short as something hard connected with the back of his skull, and the world turned black.