4 - Dilemma

OBSERVE

"We went to the mall and then Anita suggested that we should visit you as well. It's pretty near to your house, so that sounded convenient." Pinky Aunty explained to my mother while I rack my brain and reckoned if our house was really anywhere near the mall.

Not that I know of.

"It's been ages since we met, Suchitra." Anita Aunty added with an overwhelming enthusiasm.

Would you like to have some chai with that bullsh*t? I wanted to ask them but I resisted.

Seeing the opportunity, I placed my laptop aside and made my way towards the kitchen, making sure that mom doesn't notice my movement.

You see, my mother was still not talking to me, a girl can take enough after all. So, I came up with an immaculate plan to break her shell. And my brilliant course of action was to impress her by being a good girl and doing domestic art. Yes, household chores.

With the speed of lighting, I adorned the plate with snacks but my pace slowed down and I halted in confusion when I couldn't find a cold drink or any other beverage.

Karan.

Why wasn't I surprised? It's nearly impossible to save any cold drinks when there was a 14-year-old growing boy living in the house. Standing in front of the refrigerator, I continue to blankly stare at it for a second as if it's going to magically fill with a drinkable refreshment. And as if the mighty god heard my silent prayers, my eyes zeroed in on to something.... this should do.

Two minutes later, I was more than satisfied with my preparation. Balancing the tray in my hand, I made my way towards the living room.

"Yeh apni Neena hai? (Is this our Neena?)" Anita Aunty gasped dramatically as soon as I placed the tray on the table, facing the sofa.

"Haan Anita, this is Neena. Isn't she beautiful?" Pinky Aunty said and I smiled, feeling the gaze of my mother on me.

"Arey... this is too much." Pinky Aunty 'complained' about a quantity of snack while eyeing a row of chocolate chip cookies.

"You know Neenu, you were this little- " Anita Aunty said while raising her hand in the air to make her point and my eyes darted towards the God's pendant hanging around her neck. "And now, look at you... Kitni sundar ho gayi hai (You have become so pretty now)."

I gave her a modest smile.

"It's good to see you too, Aunty." I said in my politest tone while passing her a glass of 'cold drink'. Pinky Aunty was already halfway through her drink so I straightened up and sat at my earlier position on the sofa.

"Waise Suchitra, Did something happened that day at Avtaar's party?" Pinky Aunty asked while taking a huge bite out of samosa.

"No, why?" Mom said promptly.

"I heard that you all left the party abruptly. Is everything ok?"

Oh! So, they were here for gossip.

Mom hesitated for a moment. "Everything is fine." I heard her say as I placed my laptop back on my lap and blocked out their conversation.

The atmosphere of my house was still tensed these days, most of my time was spent with my laptop.

"So Suchitra, Are you looking a guy for our Neena?"

Deep breath, Neena.

Resisting the urge to slam my head against the wall, I furiously scrolled through the web page.

"Yesss, that IITian came to see our Neena at Avtaar's party." I heard Pinky Aunty say, but I chose to keep my mouth shut and continue opening the random links even though a very little part of me wanted to announce that he was an IT guy, not an IITian. Not that it mattered.