3 - Deal

Sometimes a deal with the devil is better than no deal at all.

- Lawrence Hill.

They say that when you're about to die, your entire life flashes before your eyes, everything slowly fades as you slip into a peaceful sleep forever but all I could see was burning hard brown eyes.

Nothing in my 22 years of life has prepared me for the impassive poker face of Viraj Freaking Sanghvi.

I think I was seconds away from blacking the hell out, my heart pounding in anticipation, everything seemed to freeze and blur as I stood there frozen, staring at his inexplicable face.

"Did you had a shot of vodka or two, Neena?" Suddenly Maama was standing before me, hiding my line my vision...or maybe not. He was an inch shorter than me so I tried my best not to directly look at you-know-who again.

I couldn't look at him anymore but I could still feel his piercing gaze on me.

"Neena?" Maama called out again but I was perfectly incapable of opening my mouth. I didn't trust my voice so I shook my head gingerly.

"Then say something." He raised his eyebrows. "Don't you want to explain something... something that includes your boss or should I say...boyfriend, eh?"

I wish I had a heart attack.

I waited for a sharp biting remark, trail of questions, even something like fire and flames from the human standing behind my Uncle but all I heard was the booming, disturbing voice of Honey Singh.

"You didn't eat, did you?" Maama asked out of nowhere, the hard edge of his voice melting in sudden concern.

"It's almost eleven, Neena and you haven't eaten yet?" He continued when I didn't say anything.

"Oh! I understand–" He squinted his eyes. "-you want to eat with your boyfriend."

My eyes widened in absolute horror, I almost choked out with uncertainty.

Crossing his arm over his chest, Maama gave me a pointed look. "So that's why you're here."

I wanted the ground to open up so I could crawl into the abyss, saving myself from this huge embarrassment and discretion.

Avtaaar Mama was completely opposite of my mom, in every possible way. If mom was all about panic then my uncle was cool as cucumber. So, I wasn't surprised when his face suddenly broke into a huge grin but unfortunately I wasn't prepared for his next words.

"Fear not my dear niece, your uncle is here to save the day..." He paused and frowned. "Night, save your night." He corrected and smiled to himself.

"I'm going to arrange a private table for you two." He whispered lowly but I was sure the other person had heard it too.

Oh, how I wanted to die.

Uncle eyed me attentively. "By the way Neena, you and I are going to have a very long talk..." He smiled knowingly. "-because I had a very interesting chat with your boyfriend."

What?!

Maama turned towards my boss and gave an acknowledging nod.

With my jaw-slacked, I continued to stare after him as he went back towards the party.

My heart pounded wildly at the realization that now I was alone with my boss. Maybe he wouldn't notice, if I discreetly slipped out of here.

Saying a small prayer to god, I took a step forward. A surge of hope shot through me when there was no reaction. Without wasting another moment, I took an another step and m-