Chapter 23 - No Cops Allowed

It was just after lunchtime when Steven killed his engine in the driveway of 4 Ilahee Road. Looking up at the two-story cabin overlooking the water, he realized how far out of his league this girl was. He wondered why she had invited him at all. He grabbed the six pack of beer out of his back seat and carried it to the front door. On the door hung a hand written sign that said, 'If you brought beer, we're around back. If you're a cop, nobody's home.'

He laughed and walked around the side of the house, following the sounds of Stone Temple Pilots and giggling. When he reached the clearing and could see up on the deck, he spotted Journey kicked back in a lawn chair. She had on a mismatched bikini, black bottoms with a pink striped top without any straps. Steven closed his eyes and tried to recall the age of consent laws in Georgia.

"Hey, don't be a creeper!" a girl's voice called.

He opened his eyes, and Journey was standing, shielding her eyes from the sun. His eyes drifted from hers, down the whole of her figure. He decided jail might be worth it.

"I hope I didn't miss too much." He smiled as he stepped up onto the deck.

She clapped her hands together. "I'm just glad you made it!"

He nodded and held up his six pack. "And I brought beer."

She pointed to the other couple on the deck. "You know Justin Kruse and Kara, right?"

He waved his free hand, and they smiled in return.

"Good to see you, Steve," Justin said.

She reached for his arm. "Come on. We'll put your beer in the fridge."

He let her lead him into the huge, open living room and into the kitchen. "This place is nice," he said, taking it all in. "I think my whole apartment would fit in just this room."

She pulled the refrigerator open and laughed. "If only my parents knew how many times I've gotten hammered up here without them."

He laughed and stepped over beside her to put his beer in the fridge. He pulled one of the cans out of the plastic before he shut the door. He popped the top and tipped it up to his lips. "From the way you talked, I thought this was going to be a party."

She pushed her bright blue sunglasses up on her head. "Oh no. Parties attract too much attention. I'm sorry if you thought-"

He held up his hand to stop her from apologizing. "No, it's cool. I get it. I'm just happy I made the short invite list." He took a step closer to her. She smelled like booze and tanning oil. "You know, they frown on kids who ditch class at West."

She laughed. "They frown on me for a lot more reasons than just skipping school."

He smiled. "Me too."

They walked back outside, and she straightened her towel on the chair.

Steven shook his head. "Screw sitting on the deck." She looked up, and he nodded toward the lake. "Let's go for a swim."

She laughed. "I don't think so. That water is about twenty below."

He frowned. "Don't be a drama queen. It's not that cold." He offered his hand to her. "Come swim with me."

Her eyes widened and fell to his outstretched hand. She was trying to suppress a smile and failing miserably. Pink spread through her cheeks as she laced her fingers with his. A chill buzzed down his spine.

"You're crazy," she said as he led her past her friends.

He nudged her with his elbow. "I think I'm in good company."