Chapter 5 - Morphine

When the afternoon bell rang, David walked outside and saw Journey walking toward the buses. Kara wasn't anywhere in sight. He jogged to catch up with her. Something was wrong. Her head was down, and her shoulders were slumped. When he caught her, he spun around and walked backward so he could face her. "Hey," he said.

She looked up briefly. There was a bright red splotch across her forehead that looked a little swollen. "Hey, Dave."

"Whoa, what happened to you?" he asked.

"Lost a fight with a door today," she mumbled.

He looked around. "Where's your ride?"

"At home with cramps." Her eyes were focused back on the asphalt.

His face broke into a smile. "I'll drive you."

She stopped walking. "Why?"

He laughed. "Do you want to ride the bus?"

She shook her head.

He tugged on her sleeve. "Then come on."

She looked at the row of yellow buses, then back at him, obviously weighing her options. She let out a deep sigh. "OK. Thanks."

He jerked his head back in the direction they had just come. "I'm in the senior's lot."

She raised an eyebrow. "Where else would you be parked?"

David did a mental eye roll and cursed his own stupidity. Why couldn't he be cool around her? He hooked his thumbs under the straps of his backpack. "What happened with the door?" he asked.

"I was late and running into the arts building to get some homework I left in my locker. The door was opened from the other side, and it smacked me in the head," she answered.

He cringed. "Sounds like it hurt. You OK?"

She shook her head slightly. "It almost knocked me out. I've had a headache all day."

"I'll bet," he said as they neared the steps that led down to the senior's parking lot. She looked like she was in a lot of pain. He wondered if he should offer her his arm. He didn't.

The senior's parking lot was already swarming with students who were glad to be free from the prison of high school. David looked around and pointed to his white pickup truck. "That's me."

"I know," she said.

So, she knew what he drove. He smiled. That was a good sign.

Marcus was parked next to him, and he had the little blonde cheerleader pressed against the driver's door of his truck. "Get a room," David called out as they approached.

Marcus detached his mouth from hers and turned around. "You're just jealous." Marcus's eyes landed on Journey, and he raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

David pointed to her. "Marcus, you remember Journey, right?"

His chin tilted up in confirmation. "Sure. What's up?" he asked her.

She smiled but didn't respond.

David could see pain in her eyes. He ushered her past Marcus's truck. "We're gonna take off. I'll see you at practice later."

Marcus looked down at his watch. "Practice starts in fifteen minutes."

David shrugged as he walked with Journey around to the passenger's side of his truck. He pulled her door open and looked back at Marcus. "Cover for me, will ya? I won't be too late."

Marcus looked confused. "Uh...OK. Sure."

Journey paused in front of him, questioning him with her eyes.

He nodded into the cab. "Hop in," he said with a smile.

She hesitated for a moment before climbing into the passenger's seat. He closed her door.

Marcus held out his hands and lowered his voice. "What are you doing?"

"I'm giving Journey a ride home," he answered. "What's it look like I'm doing?"

Marcus laughed. "It looks like you're blowing off practice to hang out with a chick!"

David rolled his eyes. "I'll be back. Just tell coach I forgot something at home."

Marcus shook his head and sighed. "All right."

He got into the truck and jammed his keys into the ignition. Journey looked over at him. "Are you sure you have time for this?" she asked.

He smiled over at her. "I'm the captain of the team. I won't get into trouble." It was a lie. David knew he would have laps and pushups waiting for him when he showed up late for practice, but he didn't care.

She smelled nice, like coconut cream pie.

He turned the engine over and backed out of his space. He looked over his shoulder at her. The pink in her hair had faded a little, and she was wearing a skirt with her purple combat boots. Her face was sad. "I know what will make you feel better," he said.

She looked over with wide eyes. "Morphine?"

He laughed. "Ice cream."

She pulled her head back and scrunched her eyebrows together. "Seriously?"

He lowered his gaze. "I never joke about ice cream."

She laughed, and he nearly melted at the sound.

****************