Chapter 12 - Crazy Train

It was already half-time when Steven pulled the Chevelle into the parking lot for the football game at school. He rarely ever went, but his friends were going and he assumed that Journey might be there. The moment he opened his car door, he immediately remembered why he hated football games. The screams of rowdy fans wafted through the air accompanied by the off-key racket of the marching band. Steven groaned and zipped up his coat.

The smell of burgers and popcorn was strong enough to make anyone's stomach rumble, and Steven had worked through dinner to get off early. The marching band was in the middle of the field murdering 'Crazy Train' by Ozzy Osborne as he made his way toward the concessions building behind the home team end zone. His eyes scanned the crowd, but he didn't see pink hair anywhere.

After ten minutes of waiting in line, he ordered a hamburger and a Coke. The band marched off the field, and the crowd cheered as the team ran out of the field house behind where he was standing. Steven carried his dinner back to the home grandstand and heard a familiar whistle above the roar of the crowd. He caught sight of Kurt waving his arm from the top of the bleachers.

"What are you doing here?" Kurt asked as he approached.

"Got done early," Steven replied, sitting down. "Is it a good game?"

"See for yourself." Kurt nodded toward the scoreboard as he took a swig from a metal flask. East Emerson was killing West Emerson by three touchdowns.

Steven cringed. "Well, that was a waste of a ticket." He took a bite out of his burger.

The game didn't get any better. WEHS lost to their biggest rival by seventeen points. Kurt was half-lit by the end of the fourth quarter, and he slapped Steven on the back. "We're going to Matt's kegger out on the hill tonight. You down?"

Steven had an early shift at the shop the next morning, but he also didn't want to go home. He nodded. "I'll stop by for a while."

At the bottom of the bleachers, he saw Journey wearing a bright blue toboggan with long braided ear covers. How had he never noticed her before? He stood up. "I'll catch up with you guys later," he said to the group of guys behind him.

Kurt pushed himself up and wobbled a bit. "I'll come with you. I've gotta take a leak."

Steven didn't wait for him. He navigated the stairs and the crowd as quickly as he could. He followed the blue hat all the way to the field house. Kurt slipped into the bathroom, and the girls disappeared around the side of the building. He followed them and heard giggling when he turned the corner at the back wall.

Both girls looked up with wide eyes, like they were caught in the middle of some terrible act. Journey had a cigarette dangling from her lips, and she was patting her pockets, obviously looking for a lighter. She froze when her eyes met his. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a Zippo, and struck up a flame. He took a step closer and offered it to her. She hesitated before leaning into the flame and lighting her cigarette.

"Thanks," she said when she withdrew it from her lips.

He smiled. A bad girl.

"Can I bum one?" he asked. She offered him the pack of cigarettes, and his fingers brushed against hers as he accepted it. He didn't miss the way she nervously bit her lower lip as she looked up at him. "Who are you hiding from back here?" he asked as he lit one for himself.

Journey shrugged. "Everyone."

He nodded. "That's probably smart. You can still get in trouble even though school's out."

"Know that first hand?" she asked with a grin.

He pointed the cigarette at her. "Yes." He stuffed his free hand into his pocket. "You're Journey, right?"

She blinked with surprise. "Yeah. This is my friend, Kara."

The tall girl gave him a small wave as she puffed on her cigarette.

Steven looked back at Journey. "How's your head?"

She rubbed the spot under her hat. "It's better."

He laughed. "I thought I had killed you."

"I thought so too," she agreed.

He looked down at his feet. His heart was racing in his chest. Girls didn't usually have that effect on him. "Well, I'm glad you're all right."

Kara nudged her friend. "We'd better get back out there before we miss the team."

Journey sucked in a deep drag and dropped the butt onto the grass. She ground it out with her boot. Her purple combat boot. He smiled.

She looked up at him. "Thanks for the light."

He wanted to stop her from leaving, but he didn't. The girls walked back around the side of the building. While he mentally blasted himself for not at least asking for her number, there was some commotion and the rise of a familiar, angry voice.

He dropped his cigarette and bolted around the corner. Kurt had Journey backed into the wall. "What the hell are you doing?" Steven yelled.

His drunk friend shoved her in the shoulder. "Can you believe this brat ran into me again?" He was shouting and drawing attention from the people who were waiting for the football team to leave.

Steven grabbed Kurt's arm. "Leave her alone, man."

Kurt jerked his arm free. "I'll leave her alone when I'm ready to." He stepped closer to Journey and pinned her against the wall with his arms.

Steven grabbed a handful of Kurt's red hair and threw him backward onto the ground. Kurt was too stunned to move for a second. Steven looked back over his shoulder. "You girls get out of here."

Journey and Kara got a few feet back toward the crowd before Kurt sprang in his direction with his fist flying. Steven dodged to the right, then swung hard toward Kurt's face. He knocked him back a few steps, and blood poured from his nose. People started yelling, which he knew would attract the cops, but there was no time to bolt. Kurt lunged at him again, and Steven landed a left hook into his jaw. Kurt ducked and grabbed him around the waist, tackling him to the ground. Steven began punching him in the ribs till someone pulled Kurt off.

It was a police officer.

*****************

I tried to stick with all 90s music, but Crazy Train is just Wow. :)

Don't forget to vote!