Chapter 13 - Casanova

David said goodbye to his parents while Journey explained to the cops that Steven was saving her from his friend. She was shivering next to Kara by the girls' bathroom when his parents left. As David walked toward them, he slipped off his letter jacket.

"Here," he said, wrapping it around her shoulders. "I'm not sure why you wore a skiing hat but not a coat."

She shrugged as she slid her arms into his jacket. "It was a fashion choice."

David tugged on the ends of the braids that dangled off her blue hat. "I like it."

She scrunched up her nose. "Sorry you lost your game."

He shook his head. "We always lose to East. Nobody was surprised." He nodded over to where Kurt was in handcuffs. "I'm sorry I wasn't around to keep that creep away from you."

A smile crept across her pretty face. "I would say Steven handled it pretty well."

He could tell her blushing grin was more than just grateful.

Principal Edith Cook stepped over toward them. "All right guys, there's nothing more to see here. It's time for you to head on home."

Journey stepped forward to object. "But I wanted to tell Steven—"

The principal cut her off. "You can tell him on Monday, Miss Durant."

David nodded toward the parking lot. "Come on. Maybe we can still catch Justin in the parking lot." Kara's eyes lit up, and David had an idea. He looked at Kara. "There's a keg party tonight up on the hill. I'm pretty sure Justin's going. Do you and Journey want to come?"

Kara clapped her hands together with glee. "Yes!"

Journey looked down at her watch. "No."

David frowned and draped his arm around her neck as they walked out of the stadium. "Why not?"

She laughed. "I just got my car back. I don't wanna lose it again."

"Steven Drake might be there." David regretted the words the second they left his lips. Using another guy was definitely the wrong way to bait a girl into attending a party.

She looked at her watch again, obviously turning the idea over in her mind.

Kara tugged on her arm. "Please, oh please!"

When they reached the senior's lot, Journey finally shook her head. "No. I'm going home. I don't want to, but I've got to play it safe for a while."

David's shoulders slumped, and she noticed. She looked up at him with questioning eyes. He leaned into her. "Are you sure?"

They stopped at the driver's door of her car. "I'm sure." She looked at Kara. "You should go. I'm sure it will be epic."

Kara looked at David with a hopeful smile.

He nodded. "Yeah, you should come."

Steven's car was parked on the grass on the other side of the lot, and when Journey saw it, David watched her eyes sparkle again. She reached into her car and ripped open her backpack.

"What are you doing?" David asked.

She pulled out a notebook and a pen. "I'm going to leave him a note."

And probably your phone number, David thought. As Journey scribbled on sheet of paper, David looked at Kara. "Do you want to ride with me or follow me?" David didn't even want to go to the party.

"I'll follow you," she answered as Journey jogged across the parking lot to Steven's muscle car.

When she returned, Kara hugged Journey goodbye before getting into her car. Journey walked back over and started to slip off David's jacket. He held up his hand to stop her. "Just wear it. I'll get it back later."

"Are you sure? Won't you need it if you're going out?"

He shook his head. "I'll be fine."

"Thanks," she said, letting the weight of the jacket rest on her shoulders again.

She stood there for a long time, and David's heart began to thump harder in his chest. Do I hug her? Do I beg her to come with us? Do I pull her in by those ridiculous strings on her hat and kiss her?

Instead, he stuck out his hand like he was closing a business deal.

She cocked her head to the side and chuckled before shaking his hand. "I'll see you Monday, Dave."

"Monday," he repeated.

When she pulled out of the lot, he dropped his face back toward the sky and sighed. I'm an idiot.

Kara was laughing at him through her car window when he opened his eyes again. She pointed a long fingernail at him. "Smooth moves, Casanova."

He groaned and threw his football bag into the truck.

***************

Author's Note:

Ahhh... young love. So, are you Team David or Team Steven? Why??

Please don't forget to vote!