Chapter 17 - Dirty Dancing

Abby tugged on David's arm in the direction of the gym, but his feet were cemented to the sidewalk. He watched Journey bounce around the front of Steven's muscle car and get in the passenger's seat. The tires smoked and screamed as Steven sped out of the parking lot.

"Are you OK? What's the matter?" Abby asked, waving her hand in front of his face to get his attention.

David blinked his eyes and looked at her. Abby was the prettiest girl in Emerson, and her Homecoming Queen crown was sparkling in the moonlight. He had just thrown a perfect game against C.T. Burns High, and his team had won the biggest-and last-game of the season. A scout from Georgia Tech had introduced himself after the post-game interview with the Emerson Times News. Yet, he couldn't get his feet to move across the sidewalk toward his victory celebration. What's the matter with me?

He shook his head to try and clear it. "I'm sorry." He nodded toward the gym and offered her his arm again. "Shall we?"

Everyone cheered when he entered the gym with Abby. The room was dark except for the light from the disco ball hanging from the ceiling and the rented lights attached to the DJ's booth. Pop music reverberated around the room, but it faded away as a spotlight landed on them.

The DJ's voice came over the speakers. "Everybody give it up for this year's Homecoming Queen and West Emerson's Football MVP, Abby Carter and David Britton!"

The screams of teenage girls nearly pierced his eardrums as the traditional song, 'I've Had The Time of My Life' began to play. He let Abby lead him out to the dance floor as the whole school watched. The whole school except Journey Durant, anyway.

He'd been sure he had succeeded in making her jealous that week. She had been positively glum when he told her he was escorting Abby to the dance. It took all week to convince her to come, and she even promised him a dance.

Then, with one slam of a car door, the night David had been dreaming about for weeks was ruined.

He slumped and rested his head on Abby's shoulder. She must have found the gesture endearing because she rested her head against his as they rocked from foot-to-foot under the swirling lights of the disco ball.

When the song ended, the rest of the students flooded the dance floor. David leaned toward Abby's ear and pointed toward the back of the room. "Let's go get a drink."

She nodded and gripped his hand as they walked toward the refreshment table. Kara was by the punchbowl talking to Justin. She locked gazes with him. "Have you seen Journey?" she shouted over the music.

He pointed toward the door. "She was leaving with Steven Drake when we got here."

Kara's eyes widened. "For real? Like, leaving in his car?"

David gritted his teeth and nodded.

Kara looked like she wanted to say something else, but she just sipped her drink and turned back toward Justin. Abby said something to him, but he only caught the last couple of words. He leaned close to her. "What?" he asked.

She giggled and squeezed his hand. "You look really handsome in your suit!"

He smiled. "Thank you." Behind her, he saw Journey walk through the door. His heart quickened, and his stomach clenched. He tried hopelessly to focus on Abby. "You look amazing."

And then Abby kissed him.

**********

Author's Note:

P.S. You can't not feel happy when you hear that song. :) Totally showing my age with it, I know. LOL