Chapter 16 - Black Eyes and Goodbyes

It took Steven's mom five days to come up with the money to bond him out of jail. Part of him wished that she didn't bother since she was the one who sent him there. Even though his mother didn't press charges, the state of Georgia did because of his mother's lie. He would have to go to court and pray she didn't testify against him.

On Friday, he went to his house to pack up his stuff. His father wasn't home, and Steven didn't ask where he was. He exchanged only necessary words with his mom. His grandmother in Dalton, Georgia offered for him to stay with her till he could figure out other living arrangements. She knew his mom was a drunk, and she knew that she had probably lied about what happened that night.

It was dark by the time the Chevelle was loaded down with his clothes and tools. Before he left town, he was determined to see the pink-haired girl one more time. It was the night of Homecoming at West Emerson, and while he didn't dare set foot into the stadium, he waited in his car near the gym till the game ended. When students began flooding toward the gym where the dance would be held, he got out and leaned against his car door. As the crowd began to thin, he wondered if maybe she didn't come. When he was just about to leave, he saw her. In a sea of suits and dresses, she was the only girl wearing blue jeans.

Her face brightened when her eyes landed on him, and for a moment, his mind went blank. He smiled and crossed his arms over his chest as she approached with the tall girl. "Hey, you," he said.

She couldn't contain her giddy smile. "Hey. I heard you've had a shitty week."

He nodded and kicked the curb with his boot. "You could say that."

Journey pointed toward his face. "Nice shiner."

It had taken days for the swelling to go down, and a deep purple pool of blood lingered below his eye. "Yeah. The other guy looks worse."

She smiled.

Her friend nudged her arm. "I'll see you inside," the girl said.

Journey just nodded before looking back at him. She jerked her thumb toward the gym. "Are you going to the dance?"

He laughed. "No. I don't do dances, and I'm not a student anymore."

She scrunched up her nose. "That sucks."

He shrugged. "It's not exactly a shock."

She chuckled. "So, if you're not going to the dance, what are you doing here?"

"I'm moving to Dalton for a while to stay with my grandmother. I just thought I'd drop by and tell you goodbye."

She pulled her head back in surprise. "Me? Really?"

He laughed. "Yeah. I almost killed you, and then I beat up my best friend for you. So, I think that qualifies us as friends."

The pink in her cheeks deepened. He liked it.

He pushed himself off his door and tapped the hood of his car. "You wanna hop in and go for a smoke break before I head out?"

She giggled and covered her mouth. "Seriously?"

"Yeah. Get in."

She looked like she might squeal, but she didn't. She bounded around the front of the Chevelle and slid into the passenger's seat.

He grinned over at her and started the engine. "You might wanna buckle up." He waited for her to click the seat belt into place before he peeled his tires on the asphalt and sped away from the curb.

*******************