Chapter 10 - The Wizard

Wednesday afternoon, Journey didn't protest David giving her a ride a home at all. He was making progress. When they pulled into her driveway, he heard her breath catch and saw a Cadillac sitting in the open garage. A woman he assumed was her mother was unloading groceries from the trunk.

Journey groaned.

David looked across the cab at her. "Are you going to be in trouble for me driving you home?"

She sighed and wrenched her door open. "Probably. You'd better get out. She's going to want to meet you."

The woman turned around when she heard the truck. Journey slammed her door. Her mom was in a black skirt suit with her blonde and gray hair tied back in a neat bun. She looked like she had just come from a funeral. Her eyes widened when David walked around to the front of his truck. He couldn't exactly read the expression on her face; she looked caught somewhere between confused and angry.

"Hi, Mom," Journey said.

"Hi, sweetheart." She looked at David again. "Who's your friend?"

David stepped forward before Journey could answer and offered his hand to her mother. "Hi, I'm David Britton. I hope it's all right that I offered Journey a ride home from school."

Her mother's head snapped back with surprise as she shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you, David. I'm Journey's mom, Mrs. Durant. And, uh, no it's fine. I'm sure she appreciates not having to ride the bus." Mrs. Durant tilted her head to the side. "Britton? You're not, by chance, Dennis and Gail's son, are you?"

David smiled. "I am."

Carol tugged on his sleeve. "I should've guessed. You look just like your father. I graduated from high school with your mother." She motioned toward the house. "David, would you like to come inside for some sweet tea?"

He nodded. "Sure, but only if you let me help with those groceries."

Behind Carol's back, he flashed Journey a grin. She rolled her eyes.

David had always had a way with parents. They loved him. When they reached the kitchen, Journey looked impressed as she settled in the chair across from him at the table. Journey's mom poured three tall glasses of iced tea.

"So, you're on the football team?" Carol asked.

He nodded and sipped his drink. "I'm the quarterback," he said. "We've got a pretty decent team this year. Have you been to any games?"

She shook her head. "No, but the season isn't over yet, correct?"

"No, ma'am. We have a game this Friday, and the homecoming game is next week. You should come, since you're a West Emerson alumni like my mom. She'll be there."

Carol's cheeks flushed under her layers of makeup. "Well, I appreciate the personal invitation, David. I'll talk with my husband about it."

David had a plan. He looked at Journey. "Are you coming to the game on Friday?"

Her eyes widened. "I, uh... I don't know. Mom, can I go?"

Carol raised an eyebrow. "I'll talk to your dad."

David grinned and focused his eyes on her mom. "I believe there will be some scouts from the University of Georgia there, so you'll have to say a little prayer for me. I could use all of the support there that night that I can get." It was a lie, but it worked.

Carol's face brightened. "That's wonderful, David. I'll add it the prayer list at church, if you want."

I'm going to hell, he thought.

"That would be great. Thank you, Mrs. Durant," he said.

He caught Journey's eye across the table and winked. She blushed and covered her face with her hand. She peeked at him through a crack in her fingers. She looked like a pixie.

He stayed for another fifteen minutes before remembering he was already very late for football practice. He cringed when he looked at the clock. "I really have to get going. Coach is going to kill me for being so late."

Carol frowned. "I was just about to ask you to stay for dinner."

He stood up and smiled. "Can I have a raincheck?"

She nodded. "Absolutely."

Journey pushed herself up from the table. "I'll walk you out, Dave."

David shook Carol's hand again. "It was wonderful to meet you. Thanks for the tea."

Carol was beaming. "I hope we see you again very soon, David."

"I hope so too."

Journey walked with him downstairs and out to the driveway. She was hugging her arms in the cold. "You are a parent wizard," she said with a laugh.

He spun around and walked backwards so he could smile at her. "You'll be ungrounded by midnight, my dear."

She nodded. "Probably."

He put his hand on his door. "So, will you come to the game on Friday?"

She scrunched up her nose. "Football's not really my thing."

He tapped his chest. "But it's my thing, and you should come be supportive."

Her eyes widened, and her smile was mocking. "Yeah, since UG scouts will be there, and my mom is putting you on the prayer list and all." She laughed. "That was a nice touch, by the way."

He winked at her again. "You can thank me later."

She stretched her arms up over her head, flashing a bare strip of smooth skin across her stomach. "We'll see."

He jerked his eyes back up to hers. "We'll see about what?"

She shoved him the shoulder. "We'll see about the game on Friday. Go to practice. You're going to be late."

"Call me later?" he asked.

She folded her arms across her chest. "I don't have your number. And I don't have a cell phone."

"Well, you have a house phone." He reached into his truck and grabbed a pen out of the cubby in the console. He stepped over to her, pushed her sleeve up, and inked his number on the inside of her arm. Her skin was so smooth against his fingertips. "No excuses now."

She smiled. She was close enough to be kissed. "I'm also grounded from the phone."

He laughed and took a step back. "Well, put my number somewhere safe. Bye, Journ."

She turned back toward her front door, then smiled back over her shoulder. "Bye, Dave."

David thought his knees might buckle.

******************

Please don't forget to vote!