Chapter 19 - Mortal Kombat

Journey had been right about Abby being David's girlfriend. They dated until the spring, even though David never was exactly sure how it had transpired. He hadn't meant to kiss Abby at Homecoming, but it nevertheless sealed his fate with Journey. From that night on, she never gave him a second glance. They still talked almost every day, but she was as cool as ice around him.

Prom was the only event at West Emerson that surpassed Homecoming and football season in hype. Two weeks before the big night, he decided to break things off with Abby. She had since found a date; David hadn't. Marcus was ribbing him about it while they played a Mortal Kombat video game in David's basement.

"The golden boy of West Emerson can't get a date to the prom," Marcus said laughing.

David's character kicked Marcus's character in the face on the TV screen. "It's not that I can't get a date. I haven't asked anybody yet."

Marcus sighed. "You know you really want to ask Journey. I don't know what your problem is."

David shook his head. "She doesn't want to go."

"All girls want to go, man. They just don't all say so," Marcus argued.

David wasn't so sure. He'd brought up the subject with Journey a few times, and he never picked up any signs of hidden enthusiasm. "She's different."

"So you've been telling me for a year now. Why aren't you with her again?" Marcus asked.

David looked over at him. "I thought you said she wasn't my type?"

Marcus sighed. "You just dumped your type, so I guess I was wrong. I would sell my right arm for a date with Abby. I don't know what's wrong with you."

"By all means, man, ask her out."

Marcus grimaced. "I don't want your sloppy seconds."

David laughed. "Who are you taking to prom?"

"Lauren Ashburn."

David paused the video game. "Rebecca's sister? She's in college!"

Marcus smiled. "A senior at UG."

David shook his head in disbelief. "Sometimes I wonder if you struck some kind of deal with the devil."

"Maybe I did." Marcus grinned, eyeing David sideways. "And maybe I'll add Journey to my list since you're apparently too chicken shit to ask her out."

David's mood darkened. "I'll kill you in your sleep."

Marcus laughed and threw his cell phone at David. "Call her. Right now."

"I'm not going to-"

Marcus cut him off. "Pussy."

That was the biggest challenge word among high school boys. David couldn't back down from it and maintain any of Marcus's respect. "Fine," he said, turning the phone on. He dialed Journey's number and hit send.

Marcus laid his controller down on the sofa with a grin and watched David nervously pick at a thread in his jeans as the phone rang in his ear.

"Hello?" a man answered.

David's heart was pounding in his chest. "Uh, hi, Mr. Durant. Is Journey home?"

"Is this David?" her father asked.

"Yes, sir," he answered.

"Sure. Just a second."

David yanked the string on his jeans, ripping a hole in the seams. Marcus covered his mouth to keep from laughing.

A moment later, he heard her bubbly voice. "Hi, Dave!"

"Hey, Journ. I need a favor."

Marcus groaned. "A favor?"

David launched a pillow in Marcus's direction to shut him up.

"Sure, what's up?" Journey asked.

He swallowed hard. "You know prom is in a couple of weeks, right?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"Well...since I just broke up with Abby, I haven't had time to find another date. You wanna go?" He was gripping the phone so tight, he realized it might break. "With me?" he added.

There was silence on the other end of the line. Stone silence.

"Journey?"

"Yeah, I'm here."

"Well? What do you think?" David thought he might be bordering on having a stroke.

"Um, sure. I guess so."

He let out a breath he had been holding for the entire conversation.

"OK, I'll talk to you later."

He nervously hung up before she had a chance to say goodbye.

Marcus laughed. "Do you need to change your pants, Dave?"

David threw the phone back at him. "Shut up, Marcus."

**********

If you liked this chapter, please don't forget to vote!