Chapter 8 - Smoke Rings

After school, David waited for Journey at the split in the sidewalk where one path led to the buses and the other path led to the parking lot. He was determined to intercept her if she tried to sneak away to the bus. Marcus showed up before Journey did.

"Where's your girlfriend?" David asked, noticing the cheerleader was missing.

Marcus winked at him. "What girlfriend?"

David laughed and shook his head.

Marcus looked around. "You waiting on someone?"

David smiled. "Maybe."

Marcus's eyes widened. "Dude, what's with you lately? Are you dating that chick?"

"Nah, man. We're just friends," he answered.

Marcus laughed. "Good."

David's head snapped back. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"She's kinda weird, Dave."

David folded his arms over his chest. "She's actually pretty cool. And maybe if you thought about girls with your brain instead of just your dick, you'd see that."

Marcus held up his hands in defense. "Dude, chill out. I'm just saying she's not your type."

"What's my type?"

Marcus cast his eyes over to a group of girls surrounding Rebecca Ashburn.

David laughed. "Rebecca's definitely not my type. Not anymore."

"Whatever, Dave," Marcus said, shaking his head. "Justin and I are going to Shady Side to watch the mud races tonight if you wanna go."

Journey was coming down the sidewalk behind Marcus. "I'll let you know," he replied, still looking past his friend.

Marcus turned and saw her, then looked at David and rolled his eyes. "You're fucking smitten."

"Fuck you, Marcus."

Journey smiled politely at both of them when she approached. "Hi, Marcus."

"Hello again," he said. "We were just talking about you."

David slapped him, hard, on the chest.

Marcus winced but laughed.

Journey pointed to a pencil drawing of a throwing star on the cover of the notebook Marcus was carrying. "Did you draw this?"

Marcus looked down at the doodle and nodded. "Yeah, it's the—"

She cut him off. "It's the Metallica ninja star."

David watched Marcus's eyes double in size. "Yeah. It is."

She inspected his drawing more carefully. "It's pretty good," she said.

David decided that Marcus couldn't look more surprised if she had spoken to him in Mandarin. The three of them turned in the direction of the parking lot with David in the middle. Marcus looked over at her again. "You like Metallica?"

Journey nodded. "They are my second favorite band."

"What's your first?" he asked.

"Alice in Chains," she answered without hesitation.

"No shit?" Marcus asked.

She nodded. "No shit." She looked over at him. "I think Layne Staley has the best voice in rock and roll."

"Better than James Hetfield?"

"It's a close race," she answered.

David didn't miss the impressed grin on Marcus's face. He caught Marcus's eye and shrugged as if to say 'I told you so'.