Chapter 22 - Sinking Bodies

Lake Ilahee was barely big enough to be classified as a lake, but it was sufficient for swimming and water sports. It was also just big enough to sink a body in, as Journey's mother had pointed out to her husband on the day he 'surprised' his wife with the purchase of the house, the boat, and two jet skis. Randall Durant proved that when it comes to mid-life crises, one should go big or go home. It was a wonder that he lived to see fifty-one.

Journey rarely visited the lake house with her parents, but she often sneaked off there with her friends. Friday before prom was one of those occasions. Kara and Journey hung their dresses in the master bedroom and changed into their bikinis. The end of April in Georgia was plenty warm enough for sunbathing and beer, though not quite warm enough for swimming.

"Who bought the beer?" Kara asked as she pulled open the refrigerator.

Journey smiled. "I did. I flirt with the guy at the truck stop, and he gives me whatever I want."

Kara opened a beer and tilted it up to her lips. "You're a beer slut."

Journey opened one for herself and grinned. "Aren't you glad?"

Kara laughed. "Yes!"

"Is Justin coming up here?" Journey asked.

Kara nodded. "Yeah. He said he would be here before lunch. What about Dave?"

Journey shook her head. "No. Mr. Alfred threatened to flunk anyone in his class who ditched today."

Kara's brow crumpled. "He can't do that, can he?"

Journey laughed and walked out on the back porch. "No, but you know how David is when it comes to following rules. I'd probably have to dope him up on tranquilizers if he did show up. He would be a nervous wreck." Journey lit a cigarette and sat down on the porch swing. She flashed her friend a devious smile. "Guess who I did invite."

Kara sat down next to her. "Who?"

Journey bit her lower lip. "I didn't want to say anything till I knew for sure if he was coming or not." She let out shrill squeak of excitement. "Steven Drake!"

Kara's eyes doubled in size. "Seriously?"

Journey kicked her feet against the deck. "Yes! I ran into him after prom dress shopping last weekend. He's working at that shop behind Barry's Bar & Grill. I called him last night and gave him the address. He says he's coming!"

Kara slapped Journey's bare thigh so hard she left a handprint behind. "Shut up!"

Journey winced but laughed. "I know, right?"

Kara held up her beer can. "This is going to be the greatest day ever."

Journey clinked her can with Kara's. "Cheers!"

"What's all the racket I hear?" a male voice came from around the side of the house.

Journey's heart sped up, but then Justin walked up onto the porch. She let out a sigh as Kara ran over and put her arms around his neck. "You made it!" Kara cheered.

He gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "I made it," he said.

They had been dating pretty regularly since Christmas, and Journey had never seen Kara happier. She also couldn't help but feel a little jealous of her friend. She was getting everything she had ever wanted while Journey was still daydreaming. But maybe, now that Steven Drake was back in Emerson, all of that was about to change.

**************
Please don't forget to vote!