Chapter 29

AN: hi guys. This is the last chapter of this sample. If you want to know what's next, please buy the book. It's on Amazon now, both in paperback and ebook version.

----@@@----

April was enjoying spending time with Sharon at the event. Which was surprising since the last time they'd spent time together, April had barely been able to find the strength from strangling the woman. But, as she'd found out, without any plans or agenda, Sharon reverted to how she was when they'd first met. It was refreshing. Amelia wasn't able to join them then because she'd promised to help Harry with the clothes, makeup and hair of those being auctioned.

April was finding her first event more bearable than she'd expected. The food was delicious, despite being in bite-sized pieces. She had to refrain from chasing after every server she saw. It was that good. The music was also a mix of classic and indie. The eclectic mix was surprisingly enjoyable on the ears.

However, she could have done without everything else. Every time Sharon brought her around the room and introduced her to people, some who could possibly be beneficial contacts to Jason, April was met with cold stares and a flurry of whispered conversations once she left. It was infuriating and disgusting.

These were the people who were in charge of the Fortune 500 companies? People who were in charge of innovation and creativity that would power their country and future? Surely not. Who would've thought they'd give soo much credence to hearsay? And blatantly false ones at that.

Even so, there was a silver lining. She didn't care about their opinions. It gave her a sense of peace to realise that. She wasn't fretting over making a great impression. A good impression was all she could muster and, surprisingly, she was fine with that. She was still representing Jason but didn't allow it to get to her head. And she was having a good time. A fun time in fact.

Just as Jason had ordered in the car. That and 'Forget about all the cameras'. She believed they went past the cameras in record time. He'd barely paused to greet Cameron and Sharon. Just a Bro hug between him and Cameron while she scarcely had the opportunity to do get her arm around Sharon. It had felt good to give the press a proverbial middle finger. Barely acknowledging them.

Sighing contentedly, she took a sip of her wine, eyes scanning the room and almost spat it out when she spied an elegantly clad figure that looked like someone who shouldn't be there. Blinking rapidly, hoping it wasn't true, hoping her mind was just conjuring her, her heart almost escaped her chest when her eyes confirmed what her heart wanted to deny.

What was she doing in Los Angeles? And, most importantly, who was taking care of her babies? Surely not her poor excuse of a nanny. April had suspicions on that woman's credentials. And while she may not be the person to spit on inexperience, the way that girl handled her babies proved her lack of interest in her job.

Her eyes followed Carrie as she greeted people warmly and the greeting returned with the same degree of welcome, some of whom had been especially cold to April. Apparently, the viper wasn't just feeding the press falsities. Her spread of influence was wider than she'd expected.

Placing her glass down on the tray of one of the roving servers and moving to follow her, she stopped short when her target entered an alcove. Using a plant and pillar as cover, she waited for her next move.

'What are you doing?'

Jumping slightly, April turned to the man and scowled, shushing him at the same time. His brows furrowed over his dark eyes and he repeated his question. Softly.

Deciding he wouldn't be leaving her alone anytime soon, her eyes moved to Carrie and back. She did it three more times, fairly giving herself a headache, but he was still clueless. Only his brows moved. It furrowed deeper. Sighing, she moved his face to where Carrie was. Finally he got it.