Chapter 11

'Mr Hall-'

'Jason,'Jason corrected April. He heard her sigh on the other line and stifled a grin. 'Why are you calling me, April?'

'JASON, there's this woman who claims to be your housekeeper-'

'What does she look like?'he cut in, the urge to hide his grin a thing of the past when he heard her huff of annoyance.

'Plump and petite, matronly. Salt and pepper hair, grey eyes. Take-no-prisoner attitude. Rings a bell?'she recited sassily.

'Yes, I believe so. And I also believe that I told you she's returning in two weeks. Admittedly she's early by a few days but I don't think that should be an issue?'

'Well, no. The twins seems to know her and are playing with her now. She's surprisingly gentle with them. And I think she's taking over the making of their meals, which is more than fine with me. But the thing is, she's banned me from the kitchen!'she wailed-slash-hissed.

He winced. He knew how much she liked his kitchen. If he didn't know any better, he'd think he'd hired a chef because she kept cooking for him. That was on top of what Mrs Kramer left for him. He would be hard-pressed to decide whose cooking he liked better.

Suddenly, movement from his peripheral returned his attention to his surrounding. He was in his favourite restaurant with his closest friends and cousins. They'd decided to meet up since one of them had finally graced the East Coast. And usually, they did not allow phone calls to come through but this was April. It could have been about the twins. Or, in this case, a conflict between his nanny and housekeeper. Plus she'd been acting distant since that day. He tried to lighten the air between them, talking and joking with her more often, but there's always a barrier between them. And he didn't know how to push it away. So he'd always entertain any voluntary contact from her. Always.

Seeing his cousin looking extremely pissed off, he decided to end the call. 'We'll talk about it when I get back,'he promised her. Laughing at her second huff of annoyance, he left kisses for the twins and returned to his cousins.

'I didn't know we allowed phone calls at the table,'his cousin, Harry Reynolds, said coldly. Jason shot a glare at him as he took a seat. 'And what's with the happy look and smiles? You look like you've arranged a hook up.'

'That was my nanny-'

'Is there anything wrong with the twins? Sharon can come down for a look if you want,'Cameron offered, cutting in. Taking in a deep breath for patience, Jason waited a while before replying.

'No. Mrs Kramer has returned and apparently banned April from the kitchen,'he explained. Cameron barked out a laugh while Harry's lips twisted into a sneer.

'Why do you need to care so much about your nanny? Why does it matter if she gets banned? As long as she's doing her job, whatever happens in her life should not matter,'Harry said dismissively. Jason took a while to take a good look at his cousin. His mahogany hair was stylishly cut and his suit was immaculate. He was the consummate businessman but he had an air of detachment around him. Like he wasn't touched by his surroundings.

Jason felt his heart sink. This wasn't the man he'd grown up with. This man was cold, callous. He had no heart. Whatever had happened to him that made him change, well, he didn't know how to relate to this man. And to think he'd have agreed with him a few months ago.

'Well, seeing as she prepares the twins' meals, I guess it's an issue with me,'he fibbed, getting annoyed with his pompous attitude. Cameron, sensing the tension growing, made to change the subject.

'So, Sharon's throwing a party for Mom's birthday and she wants all of you to come. It's next Saturday,'he said as he sliced into his steak. Harry started to refuse but Cameron cut in. 'Did I say want? She demands your presence. Work is not a reasonable excuse. If you try that, she's going to have your balls on a platter. She'll hound you for the rest of the year if you're not there.'

'I don't know why you accede to these women's ridiculous demands,'Harry said, his voice artic cold. A fact about him was that the more irritated he became, the colder he'd get. Cameron and Jason shared a look and decided to ignore his comment.

'So, where will you be staying? And how long will you be here?'Jason asked, abruptly changing the subject.

'I'll be staying at my usual hotel and I'll be going back tomorrow. Do you want to hit the clubs tonight?'he asked Jason. When he hesitated, Harry scowled. 'Come on. It's been so long since we got together. I'd actually like to do something fun.'

'Yeah, alright,'Jason said, giving in. It was not often that Harry felt like having fun so he should accommodate him this once. 'Let me inform April about this. Excuse me.'

Ignoring Harry's censorious look and Cameron's amused one, he left the restaurant and made the call. It rang a few times before April picked up, sounding all breathless. His mind immediately took him to all the reasons she could possibly sound breathless, the only reasons he could only think of being sexual reasons. And he missed her greeting.

'Hello? Mr Halloway?'he heard her ask. His phone was right beside his ear but she sounded very far away. 'Hello? Shh, shh.'

'Jason. Call me Jason,'he answered absently as he returned to reality. He heard Tanner's babble nearby and concluded that she was carrying him. 'Is everything alright? Why isn't Tanner down for his nap?'

'He's very active this morning. He refuses to lie down. Luckily, Daphne's down or I don't know what I'll do,'April told him, responding to Tanner's babble with hmms and yeahs. 'So why'd you call?'

'I'll be home late tonight. My cousin is in town and he wants to go to the clubs,'he told her. The silence at the other line was making him antsy. He didn't know why but he felt like reassuring her. 'I promise I won't bring any woman back and I'll definitely be home by midnight.'

'So, you're Cinderella now. Glad to know. Tell me again, when was your sex change? And where's the fairy godmother?'she teased.

'Ha ha ha,'he deadpanned, to which she giggled. He had to smile at that. It was joined with Tanner's own giggle and it only needed Daphne's laugh to complete the picture.

'Oh,'she said excitedly, stopping suddenly. 'I'm allowed back into the kitchen.'

'How? What did you do? Promise to sell your future newborn?'he asked lightly, taking a seat at one of the benches that were always in the hallways of the country club. He heard her snort and Tanner laughing. 'It was a valid question because Mrs Kramer does not ALLOW anyone into her kitchen. She has a strict "No entering" policy. She barely allows me to move around in there. And that's when she's left.'

'The twins weren't eating. I tried to entice them by eating some to show that it's delicious and accidentally ate the entire bowl. I know Mrs Kramer made some extras so I went for a refill and they began to eat. Then, she said, in her husky voice, "You can come in", and just left. I don't want to ask for a clarification so I'll just take it that I'm back in!'she finished excitedly but softly. From the 'shh' and humming here and there, he knew Tanner was finally settling down for his nap.

'That's good. I have to go now. Give the twins a kiss for me,'he said softly. Once she acknowledged, he ended the call and was surprised to find his cousins beside the chair. 'What are you guys doing here?'

'Did you have a nice call?'Cameron asked with a big smile.

'Yeah. How are the twins, Casanova?'Harry came in lightly. Jason was confused and didn't know what they were talking about.

'This brings me back to those days where I'll just talk for hours with my girlfriend. High School, Middle School,'Cameron sighed wistfully. Jason caught his gist and felt his face heat up.

'Luckily, you now have a wife,'he said sharply. He saw the way Harry and Cameron looked at each other before they burst out in laughter. This reminded him of all the times both of them teased him mercilessly during their childhood. Being 2 years younger than them, he always took the brunt of their teasing. As much as he didn't like it, he enjoyed the way Harry's eyes lit up. It wasn't as cold and distant. And, for that, he didn't mind being laughed at.

- ---------@@@@@-----------

Feeding the twins breakfast was a tall order. They didn't like the texture of the porridge and she often had to deal with spit ups. Dressed accordingly, she was on her way to make the twins' breakfast when she noticed an unfamiliar man sitting at the dining room table. Startled, she paused and studied the man warily.

He looked familiar but she could not, for the life of her, figure out where she'd seen him before. He was very attractive. Like model attractive. Meaning hot but cold. Unattainable. Someone who one just sighed over before returning to reality. She had never met this paragon but Mr Halloway came close.

Suddenly, he turned his piercing blue eyes on her. She subconsciously took a step back. This guy was really cold. Like freezing. She didn't know how she hadn't formed icicles yet. She wouldn't be surprised if he admitted to be a robot. Trying her hardest to ignore the intensity of his gaze, she skirted him and went to the kitchen.

She'd finally remembered where she'd seen him. The photographs on Mr Halloway's desk. He'd been in a number of them but he'd looked more approachable than this cyborg before her. She was being mean now. If he was a cyborg, then Mr Halloway was not in any way real as well. And that would be a waste.

'I want 3 eggs, sunny side, 2 wholemeal toast and coffee. Black. No sugar,'he suddenly said. It was so unexpected that she almost dropped the twins' breakfast. Seriously? The first time they conversed and that was what he said? Rude. But he was her employer's friend. She should just entertain him.

After making his breakfast, she went to fetch the twins. They were getting up late that day. As much as she liked the extra few minutes of peace, she knew it would affect their day adversely. Just as she was going to enter their nursery, she heard a groan from Mr Halloway's bedroom.

Curious, and slightly alarmed, she went to the doorway and was instantly hit with the smell of alcohol. Oh God, how much did he drink?she thought, waving her hand before her to at least disperse the smell. Hoping to dispel the scent from the room, she went to draw the curtains apart and open the window.

'No. Don't,'Mr Halloway barked weakly from his bed. Ignoring him, she went to all the windows and opened it. 'April. I'm a vampire. I don't like sunlight.' Standing beside his bed, she crossed her arm and shook her head.

'Did you pour the drinks all over yourself? You smell like the inside of a vodka bottle,'she scolded softly. Knowing how much his head was pounding, she tried to be considerate but the smell was just plain awful. 'I'm going to wake the twins. When you're ready to relinquish your vampire status, do join us.'

'No. Don't leave,'he whined. Thinking he was just being ornery, she turned to leave when his hands suddenly grabbed her hips and pulled her over him. He rolled over until he was above her. His head up, he sent her a crooked smile and greeted her. 'Good morning.'

He looked incredibly handsome even if he still smelled boozy. Hair tousled. Eyes lazy from sleep. His cheeks slightly flushed from the alcohol and sleep. Why couldn't he look all disheveled and out of sorts, like she did on the rare occasion when she drank? Life was so unfair.

'Mr Hallow-'

'Jason!'he corrected sharply before burying his face against her neck. Startled, she tried to push him away but her arms were caught between them. 'If you continue to be stubborn, I'm going to punish you every time you call me "Mr Halloway". I'll tell you of your punishment later. We'll rest for now.'

'Jason, I have to feed the twins. They're going to wake up anytime soon,'she told him gently. He shook his head childishly, still burrowed against her neck. Laughing slightly, she asked,'Are you still drunk, oh Mr Vampire sir?'

'I like the sound of that. Come forth and pleasure me, servant girl,'he said in a mock commanding tone. Her face flushed when she realised what he meant. Trying to escape again, all she accomplished was getting his attention back on her. Seeing her red face, his face took a decidedly lecherous bend. 'Shy, are we? Well, there's only one way to remedy that.'

Unable to grasp his meaning, she was caught off - guard when he placed his lips on her. Not knowing how to respond, or whether she should, she just laid there until he grew more insistent. Trying to fight his repeated attempts to deepen the kisses, she felt herself melting into his kisses, giving in to his persistence. He let out a rumble of triumph as he managed to slip pass her lips and invaded her mouth.

She felt like she was drowning under his expertise and the pleasure they evoked. All she could focus on was his lips, his hands which were roaming about her body, managing to get under her sweatshirt and inching towards her bra.

A jarring sound penetrated the haze. She knew it was important, that noise. But Jason was muddling her mind again. A second noise joined the first. Oh, Tanner and Daphne are angry, she thought absently. Then, like a thunderbolt striking her, she pushed him away and got off the bed before he even knew what was going on.

'We are not finished, April,'he called breathlessly but she just shook her head, facing determinedly forward. Her face was redder than a tomato. Hadn't she decided to distant herself? This was definitely a setback. But, with the way he was acting, surely he saw something more between them?

No, April. Deluding yourself is not allowed here, she scolded herself, even as her fingers came up to trace her lips, wanting to retain any lasting impression of the kiss. She didn't know what to feel or how to interpret what just happened. She just hoped things wouldn't be awkward when they saw each other again.

AN: Hi guys. This is the next chapter. What did you guys think? And they finally kissed!! A milestone in their relationship!

Alright. Now on to the serious stuff. As I have mentioned before, my exams are coming. It's in May. Plus I haven't done much writing in in the past weeks. So, in light of that, I have to put this story ON HOLD for the entire month. I'll post another chapter on 23rd April and start updating again in June. Hope you aren't disappointed.

Anyway, hope you like this chapter. COMMENT & VOTE to show your support. THANKS.

PS: shout out to @reader4lif for the housekeeper's name suggestion. That took a load off me :)