Chapter 9

Hearing the door slam close, Jason lifted his head up from the couch. He furrowed his brows. He'd specifically told Janice not to let anyone in so he didn't know who could have disturbed him. He thought he heard Tanner shout belligerently, 'Da Da.' Thinking it was a figment of his imagination, he dropped back down the sofa but shot up when he heard April say,'Da Da is busy, Tanner. We'll wait for him at home, alright? Here's a biscuit.'

'Jason,'the naked woman beside him moaned sleepily. 'What's going on?'

Jason shot up and looked down at the woman in horror. Had April seen her? Of course she had. She'd have to be blind not to. Their clothes were everywhere and the couch was within sight of the door. Panic grew in his chest. Oh god, what was he supposed to do? He didn't want April to think that this was the only thing he did at work, that he was a playboy. He didn't know why but he didn't want her to think that. What if she decided to quit? He couldn't have that.

He hastened to dress and told Janice not to let her leave but made sure she wouldn't see the woman leaving. Getting the woman to leave was a harder task. She was still there when he returned from his personal bathroom to wash up. He didn't even know who this woman was but she was acting like he had betrayed her. She whined and tried to stall. Finally, having to threaten her with security, he had the office to himself. Regaining his composure, he told Janice to bring them to the office.

Janice confidently walked in but April peeked in from the door. Once determining that everything was back to normal, she pushed the stroller in. The twins began jumping in their seats when they caught sight of him. Their pleasure at seeing him lightened the load of panic in his chest and he bent down to release both of them. They gave him a kiss before wondering about the office.

'Um, I'm sorry for walking in just now,'April mumbled softly. He was kneeling beside the stroller, watching his children be happy and free. When he looked up, he saw her face was flushed red and her eyes were darting everywhere except him. When they briefly landed on him, he saw a tinge of pain in them. He didn't know why but his heart fluttered with pleasure. And guilt too but his pleasure far outweighed that. God, his emotions were everywhere with regards to her.

'Who told you that you can enter? I told Janice that I wasn't to be disturbed until I revoked that command,'he asked curiously. Her eyes stopped moving and her brows furrowed cutely down at him. Cute? When had he ever used that as a description for a woman? Never, that's when! So that word did not just come into his mind.

'Janice told me I can enter,'she said slowly. Now, his own brows were drawn together. Why had Janice willfully disobeyed him? She might not be the most independent assistant but she always followed his directions to the tee. Any directions.

Suddenly April shot to his desk. Tanner had somehow found his way onto his office chair and was standing up, using the table as support. Luckily, April caught him before the chair moved too far away. He liked the way Tanner turned to her and smiled, showing his one tooth and one growing stump. He also liked the way April reacted, a smile and tickling his chin. So much so that he felt in stirring south of his heart.

That immediately wiped the smile off his face. Why was he still affected by her? He'd thought the interlude with that woman would have helped keep this attraction away. Because wasn't it due to the fact that he hadn't had a woman for so long? A month was long right? He knew he had been busy with the twins so he hadn't had as much time as he usually did. But why was his dick stirring again?

'I'm, um, soo sorry for coming uninvited,'April suddenly said nervously. She was currently on the floor with Tanner in her lap. He caught her sending a guarded look to him and realised she'd misinterpreted his scowl. Before he could say anything, she rushed in and said,'I tried calling but you didn't pick up. Thinking that you were in a meeting, I decided to drop by for a quick visit. I didn't think that it was a personal meeting. Next time, I'll wait until you give me the green light before I make my way here.'

The discomfort she was exhibiting made him feel ashamed of the pleasure he felt. He didn't ever want her to feel uncomfortable in his presence, especially not pain. Walking over and dropping down beside her, he slung an arm over her shoulder and faced her, wanting to comfort her. Initially, she became stiff.

'Don't beat yourself up over this. It's not all your fault,'he said. Her eyes were trained resolutely on the floor. 'I shouldn't have neglected my phone. You wouldn't have been able to reach me if anything had happened to the twins. I promise I'll pick up all your calls from now on.'

She'd looked up during the middle of his speech. Somehow, both of their heads had moved closer to each other so that his last word was whispered on to her lips. He felt himself get caught in those dark eyes of hers, getting entangled in their mesmerising depth. Her eyes darted down to his lips and back up to his eyes. He saw the struggle in her eyes. To let him kiss her or not. Just as he saw her beginning to lean into his lips, Daphne suddenly let out a happy squeal.

April's head whipped to where his daughter was and a horrified gasp escaped her. She immediately shot to his daughter, taking the pen out of her hand. Her arms and legs were full of her scribbles and she didn't want to let the pen go.

As April carried his unrepentant daughter into his personal restroom, he let out a half-amazed, half-incredulous laugh. Settling on the floor, Tanner crawled into his lap, deciding to have a rest. Gently stroking his son's hair, his mind turned to what just happened. Cock-blocked by his own daughter. He guessed that's what all parent had to deal with. He'd just have to manage around it.

- -----@@@@--------

April let out a heavy sigh as she left the building. She had a hard time convincing Mr Halloway that she could return on her own. He'd insisted that it wasn't safe for her to be out alone, citing the crime rate in the city and even the paparazzi. Fortunately, she hadn't been troubled by them she'd dismissed his concern. However, he'd almost succeeded in sending them back until she'd pointed out all the work he had to do. Which was counterproductive to his healing but she wanted - no, needed- time and space to deal and process what she'd walked into.

She knew Mr Halloway was a man and had urges. She even accepted that his name would always be linked to prominent, beautiful women and he'd eventually wed someone from his class. So why did she feel hollow and a faint throbbing in her chest? Why did it feel soo difficult to breathe? Even as she tried to will them away, they always returned twofold.

'Hey, aren't you the nanny?'

A male voice broke her out of her thoughts. Realising they were at a traffic light, she looked to the voice and saw the guard from before. Only now, he was out of the uniform and in a black tank top with dark, worn blue jeans. He had a duffel bag slung over his shoulder, highlighting his bulging biceps. Her eyes were stuck on those big biceps. Would he let her touch it? Finding his glittering light blue eyes on her, she immediately turned to the road.

'So, you haven't answered my question.' Question? What question? His biceps had effectively wiped all thoughts out of her head. 'But with that stroller and those twins, I think it's pretty self - explanatory. What's your name, then, beautiful?'

Even as her cheeks flushed, she felt a smile tug on her lips. ' Does that line always work for you? "What's your name, beautiful?" Maybe with some flexing and a sexier drawl. But, that line definitely doesn't work for me,'she told him with a laugh. His astonishment was such that his mouth hung open even after the light turned green. 'Are you going to cross?'

'What? Oh, yeah. And I don't go around using that line alone. I have other lines. But, anyway, I'm Cooper, Cooper Johnson. Now that I've introduced myself, manners dictate that you return the favour. What would your mother say? She'd spent all those time instilling those lessons in you and you're to just throw it out the window? Tsk.'

'Well, I don't want to let my mother down so here goes nothing. I'm April Saunders and yes, I'm THE nanny. In the stroller are Daphne and Tanner. But I don't know you so you're not allowed to hold them,'she said firmly. He let out a laugh but she didn't see what was soo funny. She didn't know that guy. He could be a paedophile for all she knew. Or a hired man. As handsome and charming as he was, she was not going to take that risk.

'Hey, wanna grab a cup of coffee? This can also be a chance for you to get to know me better. I know I want to get to know you better,'he invited with a smile. She hesitated. She hadn't went for a personal outing since she started taking care of the twins. But it didn't seem right, especially when she was currently out with the twins. Regardless of how handsome the outing was.

'Maybe another time? I really need to get back and prepare the twins' dinner,'she offered. He looked taken aback. Must be the first time a woman turned him down. 'Let me give you my number and we'll arrange a time.'

'Sure. Here's my phone.' He gave her his iPhone and she put in her personal number. Obviously she wouldn't use the one Mr Halloway gave her. That's was purely for twins-related issues. ' Alright. Let's meet again soon then. Bye, babies.'

The twins waved, surprising her. She didn't know they could do that on demand but she smiled nevertheless. Her heart fluttered slightly and her face turned pink when he sent her a the wink. She blamed it on the fact that he's a charmer, seeing as there's a lack of that in her life, so she dismissed it.

Continuing on their journey home, her mind returned to the afternoon. The smile immediately dropped from her face and her heart felt soo much heavier. She didn't want to admit it but she knew she'd developed some feelings for Mr Halloway. Romantic feelings. Maybe bordering on love-

She shook her head vigorously. No, she couldn't have fallen in love with him. One reason being that he was soo far out of her league. She might as well be in the mud while he's a prince in a glorious castle. And another reason would be his reputation. He's a consummate professional but his private life was littered with models, actresses, debutante and even a princess. All beautiful, poised, confident women. April, on the other hand, was borderline pretty, embarrassed herself on a regular basis and barely had the courage to talk to Cooper, regardless of the fact that he initiated the conversation. So she had no business forming a crush on him.

She had to get over this crush and behave in a professional manner with him. Hopefully, she could hide her feelings from him while she worked on getting over him. Unlikely but hope springs eternal.

They'd finally reached the penthouse and she released the twins from the stroller. She had already barricaded the entrance to the hall and kitchen so they could only roam around in the living room. With that knowledge, she worked on keeping their stroller and putting away their toys, jackets, blankets and everything else she packed for their outing.

With her hands full, she was unprepared for the arm around her waist, the stiff body crowding her back and the whisper in her ears.

'Who was that man?'

AN: hi guys. I hope this hasn't been too long of a wait. And most of you who commented were right. He was with another woman. Just not in action when she walked in. What did you think?

AND they almost kissed!! I know it's an almost but there's some progress. Maybe if I'm nice, I'll put it in next chapter.

{yeah, it's not going to be in there. I know cos I've already written it. They'll kiss soon, within the next 5 chapters, but I'm not that nice. >:) }

what do you guys think of Connor? he's definitely an opposing live interest but I don't know whether to make him nice or bad, meaning having an ulterior motive. Which would you guys want? I'm leaning towards bad but nothing's concrete yet.

Alright, after that long rant, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. VOTE & COMMENT is you loved it. Thanks