Chapter 7

It felt like a boulder was lifted from his shoulders. Finally, the takeover was completed. Jason kept the triumphant grin from his mouth until he reached his office. He felt like jumping with joy, which was uncharacteristic of him. He also felt like calling April and sharing the good news with her. He suppressed the impulse and walked with measured steps to his desk.

Once he was seated, he realised there was still a lot of work to be done. There were reports to be done, meetings on restructuring the newly merged companies. He felt a bit of that weight returning and a headache was coalescing at the top of his head. His nose was starting to run as well.

All he wanted to do was go home and play with his children. He'd been neglecting them with all the reports and files he had to compile in preparation for the meeting that day. He didn't feel right putting his work aside but he'd made a promise to himself to be a more hands-on father. So, with great reluctance and willpower, he switched off his laptop, told Janice to rearrange his schedule for the day and left.

- -----@@@@-----------

'Good morning,'Jason croaked to April as he shuffled to the kitchen for breakfast. He had a hard time waking up this morning. He'd overslept and missed the time to work out. As it was, he had to take a quick shower, which had surprisingly took longer than usual, and have a small breakfast. He didn't like skipping breakfast. His staff was just going to have deal with his bad mood.

'Are you alright, Mr Halloway?'April asked, concern in her voice. She'd been feeding the twins their breakfast but paused when he entered.

'Of course, Ms Saunders,'he said imperiously. Well, he tried to but a wracking cough interrupted him. April fed the twins a bite and went up to him. He felt her cool hand on his forehead and saw the worry in her eyes.

'You're feeling quite hot,'she murmured.

'I have a lot of things to do, Ms Saunders. I don't have time to be sick,'he snapped. Her eyes snapped angrily up at him.

'Mr Halloway, you are sick. You have to rest and recuperate. What will happen to the twins if anything happened to you? At least let the doctor look you over,'she tried to cajol. He was getting mesmerised by her sweet, mellow voice. He almost nodded but found his mind at the last moment.

'Are you trying to manipulate me? Because you won't succeed. I've been in the company of some of the most deceitful women in the world and have come on top,'he said through a cough. April had to support him as this cough shook his entire body. His chest hurt, his face hurt, his everywhere hurt. He didn't know if he had the energy to stand, the cough had sapped whatever energy he could chalk up from the moment he got out of bed. However, even through his coughing fit, he couldn't help but enjoying being against her. She felt soft and warm, unlike his previous dates. They were all stick thin and uncomfortable.

'Would I do that? I'm just thinking about the twins. What if this is contagious? You did spend quite some time with them yesterday. Maybe they caught whatever bug you're having. The doctor will know better. Please, Mr Halloway?' He hesitated. He looked to the twins. They looked fine to him, playing with whatever toy April allowed them on their high chairs, laughing and smiling with each other. However, he couldn't risk it. They were still young after all. He started to nod when his world started to turn.

He didn't know how it happened but he found himself in bed with his shirt and boxers, under the cover with April putting a damp cloth on his forehead. The twins could be heard in the room across his. They sounded content and he felt soo comfortable. His eyelids drooped and his mind drifted off to dreamland.

- --------@@@@-----------

April looked down at Mr Halloway worriedly. The family doctor had just left. Mr Halloway had barely woke up during the visit but even with his minimal involvement, the doctor, a middle-age, dignified man, was able to figure out that it was mainly exhaustion and stress that had struck him down.

Of course, she knew that but had to play the twins card to get him into bed. The male sex were notoriously stubborn when it came to admitting any illness or weakness. Luckily, he was more worried about the twins and conceded. Well, she thought he did. He had almost fainted in the dining room when she saw what looked to be a nod. It was good enough for her.

She had a hard time getting him back to bed. He did help by staying on his feet and taking a few staggering steps in the right direction. After dropping him into his bed, she noticed he was wearing his suit and it looked very uncomfortable. Initially, she'd decided to take off his belt, shoes and socks but when she saw he was wearing boxers, she took off his pants as well. She removed his tie and blazer and unbuttoned the first few buttons of his dress shirt.

Even though she'd worried about the twins the entire time she was attending to him, she couldn't help admiring his male physique. Luckily he was unconscious or he would have fired her. It would be worth it though, she thought with a dreamy sigh. That was the first time she had been close to a fine specimen of the male sex. And he was oh, so fine. Strong arms and thighs. His chest hair peering out from the shirt. His wide, defined chest. Only when Daphne started crying did she snap out of her perusal.

She settled the twins in the room across Mr Halloway's. The room was chosen because she could see into it from inside his room. In case anything happened, she could react quickly. However, they seemed content to play with the toys inside. And she had a video playing for them in a tablet. Luckily, the music didn't disturb Mr Halloway's rest.

She's had to call Janice to request for the doctor's number. It hadn't been pleasant. And she, the queen of nice, had to be rude, obnoxious and just plain nasty.

'Look, Mr Halloway will not be coming into the office regardless of whatever you say. Apart from the fact that I don't want him to go, he's currently unconscious and unresponsive. So you better move around his appointments or get someone to replace him,'she snapped into the phone. She felt very satisfied and empowered, acting tough and all, but hearing Tanner cry burst that bubble.

The twins were becoming fussy, more clingy afterwards. They wouldn't let her out of their sight. She had to a difficult time putting them down for their nap. They woke up at the slightest sound and when one woke up, the other was soon to follow. So, receiving frequent calls from Janice was not welcomed.

'No, Janice. I'm not able to help you with that. I don't know anything about the situation. I don't have a clue about who or what you're talking about. Didn't Mr Halloway hire you because of your independence?' April was getting frustrated, annoyed and just plain frazzled. Both the twins were crying their lungs out and nothing she did help. She was currently bouncing both twins on her hips with then phone on her shoulder.

'Well, yeah but he didn't give me specific instructions and- Can you please put that heathen down?'Janice snapped over the phone.

'Well, you can put your attitude where the sun doesn't shine,'she snarled.

'If you hadn't done something to Mr Halloway, I wouldn't be in this fucked up position right now. So you can stuff your own problems up your ass and help me solve my problems. Clearly, mine are more important, seeing as it involves a lot more people than those two bastards,' Janice shot back loudly. April felt her blood boil.

'Listen here, you crazy, dumb barbie doll. Clearly Mr Halloway hired you because of your skillset. Supposedly, you are the best candidate for the job. But, seeing as I have seen no evidence of this, I believe I should feedback to Mr Halloway that he'd hired an incompetent, mindless person to help handle his work and he should just find another one. And the twins aren't bastards!!' Suddenly, the phone slipping away. Wait, it was slipping to the back? Looking back, she was confronted with the wonder that was Mr Halloway's shirtless chest.

'Let me talk to Janice,'he said, his voice still rough with sleep. At that, she stepped back, shaking her head. The twins had quietened down when they saw their father. Daphne was sucking her fist while Tanner had taken hold of her hair and pushed it into his mouth. Their chest still heaved slightly from all the crying but they looked less stressed than before. She was happy about that even as she was trying to think of a way to get her phone back.

'No. You'll just use it for work.'

'I promise I'll just give her some instructions that will take care of the office for the next day or two. Go to my room,'he said gently. And that was when she was reminded of her job. Wow, she was certainly showcasing her capabilities. She hesitated. 'I promise it won't be longer than ten minutes.'

After deliberating for a few moments, she nodded and he began talking to Janice. Looking at him, she was glad that he looked better. The 5 hour rest had done him good. Plus she had a nutritious chicken soup bubbling away for him. Hopefully, he'd be much better before the day was over.

The twins were finally settling down for their nap. Their heads were settling into the crooks of her neck and they had difficulty keeping their eyes open. They must have been worrying about their dad. Clearly seeing him almost faint had had an adverse effect on them. Darling babies, she thought, smiling down on them.

'April, lay them on my bed. I'll join the three of you shortly.' She nodded, still looking at the twins and made her way to his room.

It was only when she was almost to his room when she realised he'd called her April.

AN Hi guys. I know this is a post update author's note but can you come up with a name and surname for:

-Cameron's and Jason's male cousin
- Jason's housekeeper

I'm notoriously bad at names so this time I'm leaving it in the hands of the readers. So, be creative :)