Chapter 15

Jason suddenly looked mad and stormed to his office. Alarmed, April laid Tanner in his bed and chased after Jason. She was unwilling to call him back because she didn't want to wake the babies up. She hoped he wouldn't do anything drastic but from the noises in his office, her wish was wishful thinking.

She stopped short at the entrance of his office. Jason was standing at his desk, with a satisfied smile, over pieces of plastic and metal that used to be her phone, his chest heaving almost distractingly. Almost. A substantial paper weight was clutched in his hand. And he looked like he wasn't quite done.

Unable to say anything, she walked in and closed the door behind her. Hearing the click, he looked up and sent her a savage grin.

'I've finally stopped any form of conversation between you and that man,'he crowed hoarsely.

'B-But that was my mother,'she managed to say, wavering slightly. Hearing her tone, his features changed. Paled. Became panicky. 'She hadn't contacted me in weeks. She's always changing her number so it's difficult for me to get her. Meaning she'd always initiated our communication. And now, my phone is gone. How's she going to contact me?'

She couldn't comprehend the amount of rage she had. Admittedly, her mother and her weren't close - her mother was too independent to ever accept help- but they'd always kept in contact. The fear of her father finding them kept their relationship alive. In hindsight, that was a very tenuous libk but their relationship was still going strong. Seeing her phone in pieces, along with her sim card, her mind ached, trying to think of a way to contact her. Who she could contact to get some clues.

'I'm sorry,'Jason said softly, wrapping his arms around her. Startled, April recovered enough to not acknowledged him. He had to learn he couldn't just apologise and they'd be hunky-dory. Not if they wanted their relationship to work. 'I'll find a way to fix this.'

'That's fine and all but why did you do this in the first place? Because of Connor?'she snapped softly. His arms tightened, giving her her answer. Turning in his arm, she told him,'Jason, he's nothing but a friend. Hell, seeing as we've only ever met once, he barely counts as an acquaintence. Even so, I'd like to see where this goes. Maybe make a friend?'

'We'll find you other friends. Friends who don't flirt with each other. Or have a working penis. Or a pens attracted to vaginas,'he said through gritted teeth. Surprisingly, his use of words amused her but tamped down the smile that was trying to brrak through. He was adorable when he was acting all caveman-like. It helped that she knew he'd never hit her. 'I'll introduce you to some people I know. You can be friends with them.'

'No. I want to make my own friends. People with similar interests,'she said adamantly. His face, which had relaxed when he thought that he had a solution, hardened again. 'Jason, be reasonable. The people that you know won't have any similar interests with me. What'd we talk about? The weather? Good way to start a friendship.'

'There are worse beginnings,'he joked. She just sent him a dry look. 'I don't like him and you won't have anything to do with him. Ever.'

'So is this how our relationship is going to be? You dictating every move I make? I didn't know you wanted a puppet,'she said through gritted teeth, moving forward in her anger. She'd had enough of his attitude. If they were ever to work as a couple, they had to be equals. It's difficult enough that she worked for him but they had to find a way if they'd ever have a chance to make this work.

'That's not what I mean and that's not what I want. This is just so new to me. Being in a relationship. Wanting to keep you away from other men-'

'Well, you'll just have to make it work,'she decreed imperiously.

'We'll work on that,'he said in the face of her decree. Realising how close they were, April felt her face redden.

'It's late. We should get to bed,'she said haltingly. Seeing the smile on his face, she rushed to clarify. 'Our individual beds. Alone. To sleep. Goodnight.'

He pulled her even closer when she tried to escape his arms. 'No goodnight kiss?'he asked coyly.

'You're too old for that-'

His lips covered hers and she just melted into him. She had a momentary thought to move away but was swept by the heat they generated. What did she want to do again? It was getting difficult to think when he was pressing her into him and drowning her thoughts with one bone-melting kiss after the other. Finally, after an eternity, or maybe closer to five minutes, he let her up. Their breath mingled as they looked at each other. She noticed his eyes had darkened to a dark mossy color, sending shivers down her back. His eyes darkened further as he moved in for another kiss but her hand made him pause.

'Sleep please? The twins and I are going out tomorrow and I really need the rest,'she implored. His eyes showed his disappointement but respected her wishes. Placing his arm around her, they headed to their rooms.

'Good night, sweetheart,'he said with a kiss on her forehead. They were giving each other nicknames already? She didn't have one for him yet! Her mind scrambled. So her mouth blurted the first thing that entered her mind.

'Um, good night, Hot Stuff.'

Of all things? Hot Stuff? Was her mind going mad? She'd never addressed anyone as 'Hot Stuff' before-

'Yeah. I'm a "Hot Stuff" and I'm all yours,'he said with a cocky grin. Rolling her eyes, she pushed him away and entered her room, closing her door before he could say anything else.

Trust her to find the cockiest guy on earth. But he's all hers. And he knows it.

- -----------@@@@@-------------

Jason was rethinking his decision to allow April and the twins to visit her mother alone. It hadn't registered that this side of town was rough and dangerous. Even so, he could have gotten his driver to accompany her. He didn't do much anyway, seeing as Jason preferred to drive himself around.

He eyed the door to the apartment building. If it can even be called that. He believed a hovel was a much better word. It looked like one good punch and it'd collapse. Hoping that wasn't true, he entered and the scent of urine and other unsavory scents assaulted his nose. To think that April had to suffer through this kind of accommodations growing up. Luckily, he'd found her or who knows where she'd be then. The elevator, a cage actually, looked unstable and unlikely to withstand his weight. He decided to take the stairs.

His eyes darted from one stain to another, his mind supplying reasons for them even when he didn't need or want to know them. Stepping over an unconscious body, he finally reached the door of the apartment when he heard shouting. One voice, in particular, sounded very familiar and dear to him.

Galvanised by her cry of pain, he kicked in the door and paused when he saw April latching herself on some man's leg. Blood was streaming down her face but she was tenaciously trying to stop the man's progress. He barely noticed the broken bottle at what could be called a dining table but was closer to cat's scratching toy. His eyes were locked on the jagged-edged bottle neck in the man's free hand. The hand that was rising, as if to deliver another blow.

Jason couldn't remember moving but the next thing he knew, he was across the room and throwing the man away from April. Away from the hall where he heard the twins.

"Jason?"he heard the tear-drenched voice from behind him. His eyes still fixed on the man who was stumbling to his feet, he just nodded.

"Go to the twins, April. And call the cops. I'll hold him off. Now,"he shouted as he mirrored the man, pushing him back. Despite his diminutive stature, being a foot shorter and less muscular than Jason, the man put up a fierce fight.Seeing the glaze in his eyes and the heavy stench of alcohol, Jason realised the man was drunk. Probably drugged out of his mind too.

Knowing he possessed some unexpected strength, due to the alcohol, Jason didn't let him past. Even when April was shouting at the police on her phone. Even when he heard his children's cry. All he could hear was the fear in her voice and see the blood on her face. The wound was still bleeding. More blood. More fear. All signs that he had failed his family.

All signs that spurred his hold on the man. So that he could finally protect his family. 

AN: hey guys. Whatcha doing? Hope you like this chapter. As you guys can tell, I'm not the most descriptive author so let your mind set the scene alright.

SO I want your help. Can you guys come up with a suitable nickname for Jason? As you have read, my one attempt was less than satisfactory(seriously,Hot Stuff ?) If not, you just have to suffer through my version of nickname. And it ain't pretty.

Anyways, VOTE & COMMENT if you liked this chapter. THANKS!!! :)