Chapter 13

The week leading to the party was fairly uneventful. The twins were fairly well-behaved with some small fights that every siblings had. From what Jason had seen, it was mainly over toys. April had mentioned that sometimes they fought for her attention but he had yet to witness that. Surprisingly, most often than not, Daphne instigated it. And Tanner would sometimes give in, which was quite surprising because men in his family never gave in. Of course, there were those times when giving in was not an option. And those were when he had no clue on how to handle them.

April had to step in then. Most of the time, she'd send him a squinty-eyed look, to which he'd return with his most bewildered face. He'd see amusement lurking in her eyes but she'd keep her tough facade up. She'd then shake her head and split the twins up. Be it by pulling one from the other or calling their name sharply.

And that's another reason why he often called for her when they fought. They listened to her. With him, his calls for peace fell on deaf ears. And he knew they weren't hearing-impaired. They came at the call of food often enough to disprove that. He'd usually gift her with a deep, hard kiss as thanks and escaped to his office. April had yet to protest but that was most probably because he did not give her enough time to.

He was currently in his office, trying to identify what was making him feel as if something was not right. The feeling had been nagging at him for the past few days and he wanted to make it go away. It felt very much like he was distrustful of April. Looking back, everything was the same.

The four of them ate dinner together, as usual. Much to Mrs Salvador's delight. She wasn't one to show her emotions but he knew from all the years she'd worked with him. It was an admittedly messy affair. With food flying about, courtesy of the twins, but April always managed to relate their day to him while he ate. Then he'd play with the twins as she managed to grab a bite. After dinner, he'd go to his office to finish up some work while she prepared the twins for bed. Once the twins were out for the night, she'd remind him to get to bed early and left before he could tempt her to go to bed with him. So their nightly routine was still happening but...

April had been acting different. Now, every night, after putting the twins down, she'd enclosed herself in her room. She didn't even come by his office. Maybe he was coming on too strong, he wondered. But that does not explain why her phone was always with her. Before this week, she'd leave her personal phone in her room. Now, suddenly, she's carrying it around, along with the phone he provided, everywhere.

Maybe it was her family?he speculated. Admittedly, he knew close to nothing regarding that subject. Which was a major oversight, especially since he intended to have a serious relationship with her. Even so... No,he decided, shaking his head. That wouldn't put that sweet, bashful smile on her face. His mind lingered on the smile. It was vaguely familiar. He had never seen it on her before so it couldn't be from her. But it was so familiar. As if he'd seen it on someone else before.

Where had he seen it before? Definitely on another woman. But surely not all women. He definitely had not seen it on his housekeeper. He'd recently seen it on the woman he took the elevator with. The woman he'd sent a friendly smile to. It could have been misconstrued as flirting but-

Wait. Flirting? When he put this in context to April, he sprang up in fury. Someone was flirting with HIS April? His mind didn't even shy away from his possessive pronouncement. He had resigned himself to the fact that April was his, enthusiastically even, and nothing was going to take her away from him. Not if he could help it.

He wanted to ask her about it but he couldn't just do that. He needed proof. He had to take a look at her phone to confirm his suspicions. Hopefully she wouldn't be too offended by what he was going to do. Knowing April's nightly routine, he waited until 11, the time she'd check on the twins, to sneak into her room. Never had it occurred to him to just let it go. Or go through the conventional route and, maybe, ask her. That would reveal too much. Not that his numerous displays of affection or cuddling meant anything. He did that to all the women he kissed, a voice in the back of his head said sarcastically.

He ignored the annoying voice and looked for her phone. Which was conveniently located on her bed. Her deliciously rumpled bed. Briefly distracted by how he and her could make it even messier, he was brought back to the task at hand when her phone made the sound when it received a message.

Making his way to the bed, he recalled how the twins had ransacked her underwear drawer the last time he was there. He was sure she didn't want her to see that but it made him realise he should take her shopping. Underwear shopping. Maybe even lingerie. He felt blood surging south as his mind wondered down a path that was both tantalising and torturous. Luckily, another message came through and brought him back.

His eyes narrowed when he saw who it was from. Connor. Wasn't he that guy that was hitting on her last week? Hadn't he prevented any further contact with THAT MAN? So how was he messaging her? He must have given him her numb-

All rational thought flew out of his head as he opened the message. Hah, she didn't even lock her phone. What if some unsavory character try to steal it for information? He ignored his conscience that tried to point out he was such a character. He justified it by telling himself he was concerned for her safety. That tasted foul even to him.

Shaking away the obvious lies, he read the messages and felt his rage worsen. They'd been messaging each other everyday since the day they'd met. Even though her replies were innocuous, Connor's were definitely on the flirty side. How could she not see he was flirting with her? How could he let this happen right under his nose?

'Jason?'

He turned to the door, looking at how beautiful she was, illuminated by the hallway light. All he could think of was making her irrevocably his.

AN Hey guys. Long time no see. My exams are not over yet bit since I had this in reserve, I thought I'd post this. However, I posted Jason's POV because I only had time to edit his. Apologies for this being soo short. So the next chapter is definitely in April's POV.

The reason I posted is because I thought it's been too long. I'm not comfortable withholding my work, even if I may take quite some time to post next. So hope you guys like it.

Please VOTE & COMMENT if you like it or have something to say. ENJOY!!

Ps. Sorry if this AN is a bit incoherent. Mind still heavy with exams. :D