Chapter 10

NOTE: Bold words are text messages

----@@----

Jason was furious. His vision was a sea of red. He felt like tearing someone apart. Preferably that blond bastard that tried to hit on her. He tightened his arm around her and asked her again.

'Who is that man?' She sent a puzzled look up at him. He noted absently again that she didn't have to look up far. He liked that. He also liked that she was a warm, sort armful. Almost to the point of forgetting that man. Almost. 'That man who walked with you to the coffee shop.'

'Oh. That's Connor. He's a security guard at your building. He wanted to stop for coffee,' she said with a hint of wistfulness in her voice,'but I reminded him about my responsibilities. We're going to arrange for another time.'

'You're not going out with him,'he told her harshly. She frowned at him. He scrambled to think of a reason that would explain his decree and he found one that was fairly acceptable. 'Employees are not allowed to fraternize. So you are not allowed to see him again. Ever.' If false.

'But we're only going out for coffee! It's not like we're meeting for a rendezvous,'she protested with a scowl, turning in his arms. He had to loosen his hold to accommodate the load in her arms. He almost smiled at her outrage but didn't because he knew it wouldn't help his cause.

'Regardless, I do not and will not condone any further contact with him. If you disobey me in this, I will have a bodyguard trail you. Don't fight with me on this,'he snapped fiercely. He knew she wasn't happy with his dictate but she treasured her anonymity more. The twins' even more. With a grumble, she nodded.

'That's a silly rule to have,'she mumbled as she tore out of his arms. 'I didn't read about this when I prepared for the interview. Stupid rule.'

Jason felt an unexpected surge of relief. He tried to play it off as protecting his naive nanny but he could never lie to himself.

He had rushed through work so that he could surprise her while she was on the way back. He'd even cancelled meetings and forced it down his executive's throats just so he could clear his afternoon. He'd looked out for her as he drove along the path she took. And almost crashed his second-most prized possession when he'd seen her with CONNOR. He'd almost stomped out of his car and dragged the woman away from THAT MAN.

Almost being the key word here. Before he could act on his impulse, he decided to continue home and talk about it with her, like the rational adult that he was. And not the overbearing, possessive male that he was becoming with regards to April. Only, she'd taken an inordinately long time to return. Every minute that passed, his mind though of all the sexual positions those two might have engaged in and his anger flamed to new heights. He forgot about the twins being with her. And how they might be a damper in any sexual overtures. All his mind could focus on was them. In bed. Together.

When he'd finally heard them enter, his anger exploded into this animalistic fury. He had to make sure that man hadn't touched her. Hadn't touched what was HIS. Had to make her stay away from him. In the state of mind he was in, he didn't pay attention to what he thought. Verification was all he could focus on.

He avoided the twins, knowing they'd give away his presence and hid in the kitchen, knowing she had to pass it to reach the twins. Once she passed by the entrance to the kitchen, he struck. He was immediately hit with her own scent, baby powder and a hint of marigold underneath. With no male scent interlaced with hers, he relaxed. Only to stiffen again when she expressed interest in THAT MAN.

Now that he'd made sure she wouldn't go near THAT MAN again, through an admittedly fictitious rule, he knew he couldn't hide from his feelings anymore. The raw intensity and anger he'd just expressed were not typical of an employer-employee relationship. It signaled that he wanted a deeper and more intimate relationship.

But with what she'd walked into this afternoon, would she want to develop their bond further?

- ------@@@@@----------

April was in a bad mood for the rest of the day. She had been looking forward to having a male friend. Or a friend, period. With her life as it was, it was difficult maintaining friendships. She'd lost contact with all of her high school and college friends. Even though she'd graduated barely two months ago. And most of them had been mere acquaintances. Well, all of them actually.

She'd hoped to develop more meaningful friendships in the workplace. But, seeing as her workplace involved infants and an unreachable boss, there goes that plan. She sighed. Friendship just wasn't in her cards.

She was in her room, musing over her lack of luck in finding and keeping friends. Truly, she believed she was going to be a cat lady. She just needed her own place, a kitten to start off and she'd be good to go. Smiling at her own morbid thoughts, she shook it off and started to get ready for bed.

Suddenly, her phone chimed, indicating that there was a notification. That was unusual. She only received texts from the mother and calls from telemarketers. With her near - homeless state a few weeks ago, she rarely answered calls. Furthermore, her mother only texted her every few weeks. Just to make sure she's still alive and well. She'd sometimes call her mother for a more in depth update but that was the extent of her phone usage. So receiving a notification was an abnormality.

Cautiously approaching her phone, she picked it up and saw that she had a text from an unknown number. The number was from the area but she didn't recognise it. Opening it, a smile suddenly lit her face. It was Connor. He was arranging a time for them to meet. Her smile turned bittersweet as she recalled that she had to stop all contact with him.

Connor: Hey. Connor here. Just wondering if you're free tmr to meet up.

Taking her time to compose her answer, she made sure she was alone before answering. Luckily, she'd settled the twins down for the night. And they only woke up once or twice in the night. So that's one task done. She could focus all her attention on Connor now.

April: I'm sorry but I have to decline. Mr H says employees are not allowed to fratenise >:(

Hope you're not too disappointed :)

Connor: I didn't know we had that rule. Let me check it and get back to you =)

Hahaha. I'm sure we'll run into each other when you come and visit him. Just don't be too surprised by what you walk into.

Or learn to hide it. The entire building is talking about how fast you hightailed it out of there.

April frowned. Everyone knew? How? She asked Connor about it.

Connor: Janice set you up. She wanted to scandalise you. Everyone thinks it's because you made Mr H stayed away from the office. I think it's because she has a crush on him and wants to clear the field of any competitors.

April: competitor? Me? As if. I'm not pretty enough to get his attention.

Connor: we're on a fishing expedition, are we? ;)

Fishing expedition? What was he talking about? Has it been that long since she'd texted? Was she soo out of the texting lingo? God, just how old was she? Deciding to bury her pride and ask him about it, she sent an immediate refusal when he explained.

April: What? No!!!! I'm just stating the truth.

Anyway, thanks for the offer but.... I need this job.

Connor: hey, don't mention it. And I totally understand. With the job market as it is, we need any job that comes around. See you around then =)

April: See you :)

April put her phone down but she couldn't stop smiling. Maybe this could be the start of a beautiful new friendship.

AN: Hi guys. Hope you guys had a good(?) April's fools. I'm utterly boring and did nothing that day. How was the chapter? Did you like the display of possessiveness? How about the text messages? Were you confused between the texts? If so, any suggestions to clear it up?

Anyway, I want to know something. What's your country of origin? Or where are you staying now? I'm from Singapore, staying in Singapore. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just a busybody. :)

Don't forget to VOTE & COMMENT. Hope you enjoy =)