Chapter 23

'You didn't have to pull my hair,'April grumbled as she rubbed her scalp. Sharon just ignored her and kept choosing clothes for her. She didn't know why but she felt like pulling her strings. 'Please know that the only reason you won is because I abhor hurting people weaker than me. And, with you carrying, I consider you weaker.'

Sharon gasped, her emerald eyes sparkling with outrage, taking a step in her direction, before Amelia stopped her. 'Good god, you guys are like teenage boys. Always trying to get a rise out of each other. Can you stop?'she said, exasperated. Then she saw what Sharon had picked and her mouth went wide open. Probably with disbelief. April knew she wouldn't believe what she saw either. 'What are you doing? Why did you pick this?'

'It's nice,'Sharon said defensively, snatching away the bright, almost neon, pink, polka dot, batwing blouse.

'On a clown. Seriously, after all these years and Elliot, I'd think you'd have picked up some styling tips,'Amelia muttered, grabbing everything Sharon had picked and dropping then into some poor store assistant's arms. April laughed and glanced outside, seeing her bodyguards preventing anyone who looked like a reporter or paparazzi in. Sighing, she wished she was old news.

They were currently at the Michigan Mile, in one of the stores. Most people shopping didn't care who April was, seeing as they were newsworthy themselves, so she was able to walk uninterrupted. Amelia and Sharon were unfazed by the snapping cameras and questions when they'd left the condominium, allowing April to show a strong front as well. In the car, Sharon had, surprisingly, threw her arms around her. Even so, April had drawn comfort from her embrace.

Once they'd arrived, Sharon had, then, dragged them into the closest store and proceeded to take everything off the shelves. Unfortunately, her choices were, in April's inexperienced eyes, less than spectacular. But who was she to say? She didn't know what to pick either.

Sharon and her followed Amelia, like ducklings, trying to absorb whatever nuggets of information she was willing to dispense. Well, April was. She didn't know what Sharon was doing, apart from sulking. It felt like following her older sister shopping while lugging around their reluctant younger sister as well. A pregnant, reluctant younger sister. Despite Sharon was older than her by 6 years. She couldn't help but dub her the younger sister. That was the vibe she was currently exuding. And seeing as she had never had a sister, the experience was heartwarming.

'Can we stop? My feet are killing me,'Sharon complained for the fiftieth time, after their sixth shop. Amelia and April shared a look but acceded to her request. They stopped at a cafe, requesting a table indoors. April wished they could dine al fresco, it was such a nice day out, but seeing the crowd growing, it seemed prudent to keep away from the public eyes as much as possible. Her bodyguards sat a few tables away, far enough to afford privacy but close enough to protect her if need be.

Her eyes widened when Sharon ordered. It was enough for her husband's entire team. Then she had turned to them, asking for their order. She looked at her in shock but Amelia took it in stride and ordered a club sandwich. Shaking off her shock, at both the sisters' appetite, April ordered a grilled chicken sandwich.

The cafe was nice. The decor very open and airy. It felt like sitting at the patio but with airconditioning. The patrons had glanced up from their meals but once they saw who it was, they returned to their meals. Well, all except for a group of young, well-dressed, beautiful, pretty and fancy women, in their mid - twenties, near the front. They had, and still were, glaring at her. Her companions didn't see them so April didn't want to make a fuss. Hopefully, ignoring them would work.

'That was a fruitful trip,'Amelia said, satisfied. April nodded, forcing those women out of her thoughts. She dared not disagree. Amelia was a tough taskmaster when it came fashion. She couldn't believe the countless times she had to model outfit after outfit, shoes after shoes. Her calves contracted just thinking about it. And whenever she'd gathered the courage to argue, Amelia would just fix her army-sergeant eyes on her and the fight fizzled out of her.

Of course, Sharon had been exempted. But she wouldn't sit quietly in the chair provided. Commenting on every outfit, it had made for an even more trying afternoon. Even so, since she wasn't so strict and stringent about combinations and color contrasts, basically less sophisticated and approachable than Amelia, April found it easier to joke with her and even argue on her assessments. Often, they'd dissolve into giggles, with Amelia looking on, less than amused.

'Well, we have manicures and pedicures next,'Sharon said around her appetiser, a stuffed jalapeño. April wrinkled her nose at her to which she responded by popping another jalapeño and chewing with her mouth open.

'Gross,'April cried with a laugh. Amelia scowled at her sister and hit her hand with the back of spoon. Sharon furrowed her brows at her but closed her mouth. 'Anyway, I don't know about the mani-pedi. I've never been away from the twins this long before. Rain check please?'

'I felt that way when I first had Derrick. But as they grow, you also grow. To treasure the time away from them,'Sharon finished with a cackle. The other two looked at her askance. To which she took offense. 'Don't lie, Ams. I know you sometimes take work trips to get some alone time. Away from Scott and the boys.'

'Yes, yes, baby sister,'Amelia hastened to agree, looking around as if she didn't want anyone else to hear Sharon. 'But we're wondering about your cackle. Since when did you cackle? Are you somehow transitioning to become a witch? I knew all those herbal drinks would change you-'

'Um, excuse me,'one of the women from the glaring table suddenly said. They were all startled. April'd been soo caught up with the argument that she hadn't noticed her approach.

'Yes?'Amelia prompted politely when the woman didn't continue. April found it weird that the woman kept her eyes on Amelia and Sharon only. It was like April was invisible.

'What are you doing with that woman? The both of you are soo classy that we can't tell why you're with such a trashy bitch. I mean, look at her. That shirt. Those shoes. The only reason we can think of is she forced herself on you. If that's the case, you welcome to join my friends and I,'the woman said. They were dumbfounded. They all knew who she was talking about:April.

April bowed her head. It hurt to have such hateful words flung at her. Something about saying it to her face made the wound inflicted by this woman even deeper. She thought she was slightly inured to negative opinions. Clearly, she was wrong.

'Who the hell are you talking about?'Amelia asked coolly. Her face were frozen up and her eyes were like ice chips while Sharon's face was red and her hands clenched around her fork. Worried for her health, April wrapped her hand around her fist, giving her a small smile when she turned her fiery eyes to her.

'That trash masquerading as a woman,'the woman sneered, finally deigning to look at April. She looked impassively up at her, tightening her hold on Sharon.

'I suggest you walk away, little girl, and do your homework. Or, better yet, mind your own business,'Sharon said through gritted teeth. The woman took offense.

'Sorry if I was just trying to help.'

'Well, sorry if I don't like your help,'Amelia countered. Finally realising they were serious, the woman turned away, flipping her hair.

'Well, like they always say. Birds of a feather flocked together. And trashy people will just join other trashy people.'

Apparently, that was too much for Sharon. Springing up, she leaned across the table, despite her pregnant belly, and grabbed the woman's hair. The woman shrieked, flailing her arms, trying to regain her balance. April and Amelia were trying to release her hold. The woman's friends rushed to her help and tried pulling Sharon.

'Let go, Sharon. Think about your baby,'April cried when she realised where the other women were pulling. Their hands were directly on her stomach, probably jeopardising the baby. Once Sharon was aware of the danger, she released her hold and pushed the other women away, cradling her tummy.

The woman turned to them, eyes ablaze and shouted,'My daddy will hear about this.'

'Just shut up,'April snarled, moving to see if Sharon was alright. Suddenly the manager came to their table. She didn't pay attention as she thought the manager was going to throw the other women out. Or, at least, do some damage control. So she was shocked with what she heard next.

'I'm sorry but I'd have to ask you ladies to leave,'she said. Thinking she was talking to the interlopers, April didn't think much of it until Amelia said,'What? Why?'

'You are causing too much of a disruption in this establishment. We've overlooked those reporters out there but this is too much,'she said firmly, looking pointedly at the pack of women huddling around their injured member.

'But she started it,'Sharon cried. April rolled her eyes. Way to be helpful.

'I'm sorry but from what I've seen, it was you, ma'am, who assaulted her.' She fidgeted slightly under Amelia's hard gaze.

'Well, ladies, I didn't want to come here anyways,'Sharon said, picking up her bag. Amelia and April were startled by her sudden movement but supported her by getting their bags as well. 'But don't think I won't let my husband know about this. And you, little person.'

'My husband, too,'Amelia said.

'And my... boyfriend,'April said after the not-so-subtle nudge from Sharon. A stricken look entered the manager's eyes but they left, heads held high, before she could say anything else.

Their bodyguards surrounded them, forging a path through the suddenly crazy crowd. Once in the car, they all slumped into their seats.

'God, Share, couldn't you have controlled yourself better?'April sighed. To which Sharon responded by bursting into tears.

- -----------@@@@----------

'Jason, your cousin is here to see you,'Joan told him over the intercom. He debated correcting her usage of his personal name but decided against it, not wanting to give her any ammunitions. This was his future mother-in-law. And she had already warned April from him. Letting her know to let him in, he set his work back on the desk and awaited Cameron's entrance.

'Did you know there's a horde of reporters outside your building?' was the first thing out of Cameron's mouth when he entered with Scott, Amelia's husband. Jason just nodded wearily. 'Man, I don't want to be in your shoes. They're like piranhas. Avariciously looking for blood.'

'Avariciously? Did Sharon force you to read another book?'Jason asked, amused. Chuckling when Cameron's cheeks turned a burnished red. Scott shared his amusement.

'So what?'Cameron said defensively. 'At least my wife cares about my vocabulary.'

'You cursed in front of the boys again, didn't you?'Scott asked wryly. He and Jason laughed when Cameron admitted defeat and nodded.

They all knew how much he hated reading. Avoided it like a running back avoided being tackled. Destroying any books he had to read. He'd barely graduated high school because of that. So it was a fitting punishment for what Sharon considered a major offense.

Of course, she hadn't settled on that instantly. At first, she'd done the usual and enforced a cuss jar. A dollar for every cuss word anyone uttered in the house. That hadn't worked soo well since Cameron had always been willing to shell out the cash. So she'd changed it, trying from increasing the fine to keeping the boys from him.

It wasn't until she'd found a book and wanted to share it with Cameron that she'd found his weakness. And the funny thing was, Cameron didn't try to negotiate with her. When she handed him a book, he'd find a quiet spot and read it.

After they'd stopped laughing and Cameron stopped grumbling, Jason asked what they were doing in his office. 'Scott wanted to talk business with you,'Cameron told him as he made himself comfortable on the sofa. Or tried to. 'Can't you find a more uncomfortable couch?' Ignoring his grumbling, Jason and Scott continued their discussion.

However, less than half an hour later, his door burst open and Sharon rushed in. Or waddled at a fast pace. Amelia was not far behind, holding out a hand to hopefully catch her sister if, god forbids, she falls. Cameron went to his wife and barely caught himself when she threw herself at him, burying her face in his chest.

'Baby, what's going on? Why are you crying?'Cameron asked worriedly. Amelia, seeing as her sister was in good hands, went to sit in her husband's lap. She didn't look that happy either. 'What? I can't understand you. Mean? Who's mean? Did anyone offend you?'

'What's going on?'Jason asked Amelia, the only rational woman in the room. 'And where's April?'

'She's outside with Joan. And Sharon's just high strung,'she answered wearily. At that, Sharon lifted her head off Cameron's chest and glared at her.

'I'm not hig hstrung. I'm never high strung,'she spat angrily.

'Well, I'm sorry if I'm mistaken,'Amelia retorted, rolling her eyes.

'Alright, what's going on? Why are you crying?'Cameron cut in before the sisters could devolve further.

'April and Amelia are meanies. And I want you to destroy this cafe,'Sharon finished bloodthirstily.

'Destroy is a bit too much. Maybe ruin them?'Amelia added. The men looked at them, lost.

'What did they do to you?'Scott asked warily.

'They kicked us out,'Sharon cried, outraged. 'And to think that I was going to go back for their food. Such a waste of good food.' Scott and Cameron looked between the sisters, knowing there was more to the story. Finally, Amelia told them.

Jason didn't hear much of it. Seeing his friend and cousin with their partners made him yearn for his. Quietly making his way out, the rest too engrossed with the story, he went to fetch April. His arms felt surprisingly empty without her.

But when he saw her, anger coursed through his entire body. What the hell happened at that cafe?

AN:Hi guys. Hope you enjoy this chapter. VOTE & COMMENT to show your support. Thanks :)