Chapter 22: Mutagen Destroyers! (Part 1)

Börja om från början

"Kayla," Mikey whimpered.

Donnie let out a soft gasp at the sight of it. He grabbed some numbing antiseptic and poured it over the cut, making little bubbles.

"I think she's gonna need stitches," Donnie announced with a frown. He looked up at us. "This cut is actually really deep. Not even close to going through completely, but deep enough for stitches. I'll do it after I'm done with her other injuries, though."

He switched back to Doctor mode and started bandaging the wound the best he could.

"So she passed out from blood loss?" I asked. Donnie pursed his lips as he worked.

"Well, I don't think so. Sure, she lost a lot of blood, but the school is only two or three blocks away. That's not enough time for her to have passed out from blood loss," Donnie explained. I nodded, turning to Kenzie and Sarah.

"We found her unconscious when we were trying to escape. I think one of the 'bots hit her against a wall, and she hit her head. I dunno for sure, though," Sarah told me, and I could see the fury in her eyes.

I started rummaging through the box where Donnie got his doctor tools, which I realized was a first aid kit.

Quickly finding what I was looking for (a flashlight), I hurried to Kayla. Donnie was now wrapping her left wrist, which was bent at an odd angle.

I turned on the mini-flashlight and pulled Kayla's eyelid up. Shining the light in her green eyes, I saw her big pupil dilate. That was a good sign that if she had hit her head (Heheh alliteration by accident XD) at least she didn't have a concussion.

I switched to her other eye. When I opened her eyelid, I noticed the playful glow that was always in her eyes was gone.

It's just because she's unconscious, I assured myself. But I wasn't so sure.

A second thing I noticed was that this eye had a smaller pupil than the other one. Nevertheless, I shone the light in it and to my dismay it didn't shrink.

"Donnie, I think she has a concussion," I informed, my brow line creased worriedly.

Donnie's head snapped up from his work of wrapping Kayla's stomach. He gestured for me to finish for him as he double-checked her eyes.

"So?" Sarah asked anxiously. "Does she?"

Donnie answered almost immediately. "Yes. She does."

Sarah's face fell, something I had only seen one other time - when her parents went missing and the police gave up searching.

I put a three-fingered hand on her shoulder. "She'll be fine, Sarah," I assured.

"If you say so," she replied with a half-hearted smile. She leaned over Donnie's shoulder as he worked. I saw an uncomfortable look flash across his face for a split second.

"Let's let Donnie work," I suggested, ushering everyone out. He glanced up at me in surprise.

"Thanks," he smiled, showing off his gap tooth.

"No problem," I replied, sitting at one of his desks to continue working on my break-into-TCRI-and-steal-mutagen plan.

"How far have you gotten in that plan?" Donnie inquired, not even looking up from his work. He had moved onto Kayla's head, and was swiftly dropping meltable pain relief pills into her mouth. He then proceeded to apply an ice pack to her forehead.