Chapter 12: Small Talk

__________________

I had been too busy with drunk Asher I never told Mel about her being vice captain and not telling me. The only thing I could do would be to call her but I can't right now since I'm on a airplane heading to California going to some big convention that both our family's decided to attend and bring us along stupid really.

What didn't help is that me and Asher where the only ones on the plane other than the pilot. So silence filled the air. Which I felt bad since he said while he was drunk of course that he was going to try but I don't think he has the guts to now. But another part of me just wanted to keep my distance I was so confused as to whether he wanted to be a cocky idiot or my best friend because he can't be both. Before I could argue with myself any longer my mouth open and I started the first conversation between us.

"How's football going?"

It was small talk, but it was something.

His head shot up from his phone and he looked surprised that I spoke to him.

"I just figured we are gonna be spending an awful lot of time together we could at least make it worthwhile."

His expression died down and it was as if I had never said anything. It actually surprised me that he actually did what I asked him to by leaving me alone. The only time we talked in the past however many days it's been was when he got drunk and chemistry but that was through a note so. Even at that it doesn't fully count since he probably doesn't remember being drunk.

"Great." He replied answering my first question. "How are you liking the cafe?" He never once looked me in the eye as he spoke.

"I'm loving it. I can see why you love it so much." I blurted out.

He cocked his head to the side giving me a confused look before nodding and looking back down at his phone.

This was so different, every other time we talked it was nonstop bickering once or twice it was actually conversation. Surprisingly I wish for us to be at each other's throats. Instead it was awkward silence.

I got more curious as to why he was so intrigued with his phone maybe he wanted to act like he wasn't completely bored out of his mind like me or maybe he really did find something else and I'm not a huge problem. Maybe he did give up on healing our friendship. Or maybe I'm thinking too much. But it could be right. Before I knew it the plane was starting to land and I was glad to be back on the hard ground. It was a little chilly outside but not too bad. Warmer than back home in good old Colorado.

I felt Asher beside me but didn't look. I decided it would be best to not bother him anymore. Well maybe not yet.

"Do you think they are taking us to the hotel in a white limo or a black?" I asked him as he lead the way. Our luggage behind us.

I saw him smirk and look at me out of the corner of his eye but quickly hide it as if he didn't want me to notice him staring.

"Black." He replied.

"How come? I think a white one would stand out more don't you think?"

"Tell me Princess how many white limos have you seen in your life?"

It was a silly question but at least conversation was carrying.

"Um a few, not as many black I have seen though."

"There you go black ones are cheaper than the white ones. That is why you see more black ones than white ones."

"Or it could be I just don't get out."