Chapter 7: Held on

Chapter 7: Held on

________________

"So how's your day going?" Mel asked as she-like usual meet me at my locker.

"I don't wanna talk about it." I said shaking my head as I slowly closing my locker.

"Oh." Her face fell.

We haven't talked since I told her I was lie to my mom and Cole. I haven't told her that I got a job, nothing. I don't even really know why, I haven't.

"Well do you wanna go do something after school then?"

"No, I got to work."

"You got a job?"

I could feel the tension between us. And there never was tension between us. Can you blame me, I just got kicked off the cheer team the only thing me and my mother bond over while Mel is a straight A student on her way to captain of the team. I'll admit I'm a little upset with her, even though she hasn't done anything.

I've never actually let myself feel this way, but Melanie has everything I've ever wanted. She's best friends with her older sister, I hate Charlie and he hates me. She has amazing grades and mine are going down the toilet. She has both of her parents and they have a family dinner every night. It's not fair that I got stuck with the crappy life and she got the better one.

"Ya at some cafe downtown." I said not even looking up at her.

"Oh. Thats good." She said falling quiet for quite sometime, as we walked down the halls of school.

"Well, um Reg, maybe after you work you could come over to my house and we could have a um sleepover or something." She said.

I know she was trying, trying to make everything better. But she was trying too hard to make me happy.

"I'll pass." I said a little to coldly.

I didn't mean to have it come out that way but for some reason now I was jealous of her.

She grabbed my arm and spun me around, stopping me from walking any further down the hall.

"Reg, don't do this. Don't you dare push me out like you did with the Dylan thing. You know I'm trying here. And I don't need you pushing me out, I can help you. If you just let me! Stop being so stubborn and get over it. I know things are tough but I can help you through it just like I did with Dylan."

"Well try less." I snapped and spun on my heel heading to my next class, without Melanie behind me. We never got into fights. I don't know if you'd really call this a fight but it was pretty darn close.

I felt bad for snapping at Mel. I wasn't myself at all. It's just finally everything was suppose to be falling into place. Caleb was suppose to come back and things would be good again. Asher wasn't suppose to ever come back. I was suppose to eventually move on from that. I was on the cheerleading team, my grades where amazing but I let myself be happy and everything fell apart.

________________

It felt like the rest of the day ticked by so slow. I just wanted to go home and take a nap. But I couldn't because after school I had work. I didn't really want to work, either. The though of being in the same small building as him for 3 till 9 wasn't not really my ideal way to spend the rest of my day.  But like Charlie said it should help keep my mind busy with other thoughts than what I have been thinking all day.

It's like I walked numbly through the school halls. People were laughing and talking but I didn't hear any of it. Simple saw the happiness seeming through wishing I could just take a little to help me. I was surprised I even got myself to every class on time I'd be sitting in the middle of class and wonder when did I get here. I was completely out of it.