Chapter 57

I was surrounded in darkness. Pure, pitch black darkness. There wasn't a single speck of light anywhere. But where was I?

"Hello?" I called out. My words echoed back softly. "Tyler?!"

"He's not here."

"Then where is he? Where am I? Am I dead?"

"No, you're living, barely."

"I don't feel hurt."

"That is because you are in your mind."

"But why is it so dark?"

"Just think of a memory , and it will come to you."

I thought of one of the best moments of my life; when Tyler and I had kissed. The room, which was like a big dome, started to play the memory. I smiled, then felt a tinge of sadness.

"Am I going to die?"

"It is not for certain, Madelyn. Right now, you're laying in a bed, asleep. If you can find a way out of your mind, then you will be able to wake, and quite possibly, live."

"But how? Wasn't it supposed to kill me? How am I still alive? Is Tyler alive?"

"It was supposed to kill you. But through some strange miracle - actually, not a miracle, it was because of their testing on you - you're alive. Barely alive. You're in your mind now, as if this were just a dream."

"A dream, you say."

And that's when my year of obsession with all things hypnosis and sleep related was put to use. In a dream, if you're aware that you're dreaming, then you can usually manipulate the dream. But how would I use that to wake? I wasn't a beginner to lucid dreaming; I had done it a few times before, so I wasn't going to get that jolt out of my dream from surprise.

"Right now would be a great time for some advice."

"What do you use to exit a room?"

"A door, but how does that help me- oh."

"Yes."

Now, all I had to do was imagine a door out of here. Out of my mind and back into reality.

"Here I go," I muttered, looking at the spot where the door would go. I focused on home, on my parents, on Trinity, and most importantly, on Tyler. A door appeared, and I stepped through.