Chapter 19

The human bird shall take his first flight, filling the world with amazement, all writings with his fame, and bringing eternal glory to the nest whence he sprang.

-Leonardo Da Vinci

_______

My eyes snapped open. I was in a white room, trapped in a bird cage. I was still shifted, and the events of the night before roared back to me. I looked all around frantically, but there was nobody near.

"Calm down, Madelyn. Just be calm - we'll find a way out of here."

"But how? If I shift back - well , I can't - I'm in this tiny cage! And what about the others? Oh, this is bad."

I tried to get through the cage, but I couldn't. The gaps were miniscule; not even a hummingbird could fit through them!

"Just wait until they get back. Then, make a run for it."

"But what about the others?"

"You can come back for them. But it's important that you leave quickly. There's a slim chance that they've told many people, and your parents may come to capture you if that happened."

My parents. A sickening feeling filled my stomach. Memories of their attack rushed into my mind.

"But what are they chances that they'll come here?" I asked, trying to calm myself.

"If they know you're here, then they're large chances."

At that moment, a man strolled into the room. One hand held a tazer, and the other held a clipboard. He walked towards me.

"Well well," he said, and I glared at him "Looks like the little freak is awake."

I couldn't reply, as I was shifted, but I shot him a glare full of hate.

"Stop with those glares; it's not very polite." he said as he took notes. I sighed, then thought of a to irritate him. He couldn't observe me if he couldn't see me. I shifted into a hummingbird, then darted throughout the cage. Sure enough, he let out a frustrated growl. I mentally grinned. At least he was mad.

"You're not going anywhere. This is where you will stay unless you are being tested on. That's what you get for trying to escape. That and starting a riot. Some of them even escaped! So this is your punishment."

"Uhm... Ashlea? How am I supposed to get out of this mess?"

"Like he said; some of the shifters escaped. And they have you to thank for it. They'll come back and rescue you; I know it."

"But what if they fail... like I did?"

"You were unprepared, and it was just you and Trinity. But it sounds to me that more that just a few shifters escaped. And they'll probably be better prepared. Remember; shifters stick together. Just remember that, and you'll be fine."