Chapter 30

In order to see birds, it is necessary to become part of the silence.

-Robert Lynd

_______

Tyler looked up at me. "Go get everyone free; we'll hold them off."

Okay, that wasn't going to be easy, considering that armed hunters were approaching us. A bronze bullet almost hit me - it would have if I hadn't flown out of the way - and I flew off. I needed to find Trinity and the others. I didn't know if Caspian would be here - he could still be in the lab - but if the hunters and scientists had allied, then he could be here.

I flew quickly, ignoring the burning pain of exhaustion. I needed to find Trinity. Those words repeated themselves in my mind. Then, I saw her.

"Trinity!" I shouted "It's me!"

She looked up. "Madelyn? Is that you?"

"Yes! Come on! We need to free everyone!"

At that moment, a hunter shoved her back, aiming a gun at me. I flew forward, going behind him. He spun around, a look of anger upon his face. He shot a bullet, and he narrowly missed. I flew up, then landed behind him. He spun around once again, and when he exhaled, I saw my opportunity. I sent a forceful kick to his abdomen, knocking the wind out of him.

I turned to Trinity. "We need to get the others."

She gestured toward the chains on her feet. Right.

"You know what? I'll try and get the keys. You stay out of danger, and try to get as many shifters out as you can."

"Alright. Where will we meet up?"

I thought for a moment before replying with "Meet up at the stables."

I took off, looking for the keys. I didn't know where they'd be, but I had a fairly good idea of it.

Now, to find Mr. Jones's office. If I recalled correctly, then it was near the entrance. I flew over the fighting, towards the entrance. I spotted the building, and the horrid memories arrived, taking me aback.

"Calm yourself, Madelyn."

I took a deep breath and landed, opening the door as quietly as I could.

But it creaked, and I could hear evil laughter echo through the room. I recognized it. So Mr. Jones was in here. Confirming my suspicions, a voice spoke.

"I see you've come, Madelyn Ruth. You're just as bad as your traitor of a father, leaving like that. Why don't you just submit, and no harm will come to you."

I moved silently, hoping that Mr. Jones would think it was just the wind, or something else. I could see the faint glint of light on the keys, as well as the silhouette of Mr. Jones. I made my way towards Mr. Jones, staying low.

"I know you're here, Madelyn Ruth. I am giving you one more chance to submit."

I stayed silent. I almost had my hand on the key when a hand gripped my wrist, squeezing it tightly.

"Your chance is over, little bird. Like a canary in a coal mine, it's time for you to stop singing and die."

"Never!" I shouted, sending a kick at him. He blocked it, angering me.

"Then how shall I execute you? Hanging? Perhaps. Poison? Possibly. Slowly squished to death like the pest you are? That one's the most appealing. And of course I'll bring everyone you love." he said, like it was a decision between a type of ice-cream.

"Let me go, you jerk!" I demanded, adrenaline flooding my veins. I sent a punch at him, which he blocked.

My wrist was starting to burn with pain as Mr. Jones squeezed it tighter and tighter. I fought hard to free myself from the grasp, and he laugh as I did so. Then, he let go, sending me tumbling to the back of the room. Then, I saw my chance. The door was open; I could make it!

I ran faster and faster still, but the door had closed by the time I had gotten there. I sent a glare at Mr. Jones.

"You jerk!" I shouted.

"Why thank you." he replied. He took it as a compliment, which caused my anger to boil.

"That was supposed to be an insult!" I shouted angrily.

"Well, it's not. At least, not for me. Now, since you have so many powers, and you could aid us in many ways, I will spare you if you submit right now."

I had just figured out the perfect way to trick him. I sat down, pretending to submit. I lowered my head submissively, trying to ignore the pain of doing so, and muttered "I submit."

He chuckled. "Very good, shifter. Now follow me, so you can call off your little band of rebel shifters."

When he strolled towards me, armed with a gun, I stood, and saw the perfect place to strike. I kicked him, knocking the wind right out of him. His mouth opened, but no words came out.

I took the keys from him, unlocked the door, and walked out, slamming the door as I left. I took off, looking for Trinity. Then, I saw her, rallying shifters to fight. There was a noticeable increase in fighting shifters, and I walked towards Trinity.

"We've got an immobilized Mr. Jones and the keys. Let me unlock those chains."

I did so, and Trinity was off, flying to the control panel. She was going to get rid of the force-field, so that everyone could escape.

I glanced at the battle. Blood dripped from the wounds of many, and I shuddered, looking away. I heard an angry yell coming from Mr. Jones's building, and I let a little smirk appear on my lips.

Seconds later, I could hear Trinity shout. "Force-field down! Everyone run!"

If you hadn't known what was going on, you would've though a bunch of animals had escaped from the zoo. I flew out, with Tyler and my father almost directly under me. Everyone was safe - for now, at least - and we were free!

We arrived in the forest minutes later, and I scanned the crowd, looking for Caspian.

He wasn't there.

A/N-

So... did you like the chapter? If you do, feel free to comment, vote, or share this with your friends!

I've got to go, but I'll see you all in the comments! Bye for now!