Chapter 35

Recap:

"Madelyn, if we don't make it out of this, I want you to know..."

"Want me to know what?" I asked curiously.

"Madelyn, I love you."

And then he leaned in and kissed me.

_______

So many emotions swirled in my head, and my heart pounded. Tyler had kissed me! I felt heat rising to my cheeks, and as he pulled away, I smiled.

"You're in love."

I didn't reply, just stared at Tyler. "Y-you do?"

He nodded. "Do you feel the same?"

I quickly focused on building a mental wall, not wanting Tyler to pry into my private thoughts. Did I love him?

"You blush wildly whenever you see him."

"I know." I looked at Tyler. We had spent so much time together, and we had really grown close. Did I really love him?

"You should tell him. Besides, you already know he has feelings for you; what's the worse thing that can happen? And besides, if you die in the hunter's buildings, or at their hands, you'll have never told him how you feel."

I looked down.

"Do you, Madelyn? It's alright if you don't."

I looked at him. "I do. But what if we die in the hunter's buildings?"

"Then we'll die together. And besides, this is important to you, right?

"It is. If I'm constantly being tracked, the hunters will keep on attacking, and there will be no chance to make peace like Caspian wanted." I looked into his eyes as I said this, then sighed.

"I know how much Caspian's death affected you. And if it's important to you, then I'll do it. But I can't help but think; what if I lose you? What if they capture you? They want to use you as a weapon, Madelyn, and I'd never be able to attack you if you were about to kill me. You need to be careful out there. Promise me that you'll try and be careful."

"I promise." I replied, staring into his eyes.