Chapter 5

"What do you mean?" I asked "Other than, you know, there being an arrow in my wing!"

Trinity's mom landed on the branch beside me, assuming a human shape. It was weird, watching the body parts contort and change. I didn't know how long it would take to get used to it.

Wow, talk about sentences you'd never think you'd say. Well, think. My wing ached, and I glanced at the blood-stained feathers. I grasped the branch, trying to release the pain that I was feeling. I felt hot, the wounds burning in agony. I felt my face bear a grimace.

"Nothing, Madelyn. It's just that... it looks like a deep wound. It's going to take a while for it to heal itself. Well, normally. I forgot that you're not human anymore. Shifters have an increased healing rate. That is, unless they're shot with the substance that is the weakness of their species."

"What's the weakness substance for bird shifters?" I asked. There's another strange sentence. That makes several today.

"Bronze." she replied.

Wait, wasn't I shot with bronze? What does bronze even look like in the first place?

"Now, we need to get you to our house." Trinity's mom informed, then looked at Trinity "You assist Madelyn from your side. Your father and I will assist her from the other."

Trinity nodded, and I watched as her mom shifted into a falcon. An idea came to mind.

"Why can't I shift?" I asked. "Then I could fly to your house, and everything would be alright."

"It would put stress on the injury, and hinder the recovery." she explained. "And it would take even longer for it to heal."

"Alright." I stood up, still feeling the extreme pain of my injury. I glanced once again at the once yellow feathers, now tainted with my own scarlet blood. I felt sick - the sight of blood always made me feel sick.

Trinity flew to my side, and I the flapping of wings as I was lifted off of the branch. I had expected it to work. I had expected to be flown home, and to be helped.

But we went down. It was at a steady pace; well, not exactly steady. It was fast, but not so fast that we were harmed. People stared, and I heard whispers echo through the groups of people.

"Run!" shouted Trinity's mom, and we all listened. Well, the parents flew. Trinity and I ran. I ran quicker than I normally did. I wanted to escape the groups among groups of people whispering about me. Over my shoulder, I shouted "It's a costume!"

That seemed to do the trick, until a little boy pulled a feather from my wing. Surprisingly, it hurt a lot.

"Oww!"

Pain rippled through my body, renewing the now dulled pain of the injury. It was back to full pain, and my muscles ached as I went faster, feet pumping.

Cars honked; I was probably in the way of some of them, but I didn't care. My side ached, and a sharp pain stung at my side. Eventually, I turned the corner and reached Trinity's house. Her mom opened the door, and I rushed in, sitting on the black couch. I was tired; my breathing was heavy.