Chapter 38

I was growing weaker every day. Conversations from Ashlea were growing fewer and infrequent. And during them, she'd only be able to say how she was exhausted before drifting away. This captivity was taking its toll on the both of us.

My stomach growled hungrily, and I let out a moan of pain. Meals were also infrequent, but usually happened every two or three days. I glanced at my scabbed wrists, the result of fighting against the restraints.

And sleep, I hadn't had it in days. When I tried to, I'd keep on getting these little shocks that jolt me awake. Boredom was terrible. There'd be nothing to think about. And my habit of boredom eating wasn't helping. I couldn't eat, sleep, and my clothes stunk. Two things stained them, and those two things, I won't admit.

In other words, it was horrible. I hadn't slept in so long. About half a week ago, I was able to catch an hour of sleep, but I was still sleep deprived. When were the other shifters going to rescue me?

And then, throughout the entire day, that same man would come in and repeat those same words. It was horrible. I'd rather be grounded than be here, and that's saying a lot.

My wrists burned as I tried to get out of the bronze restraints, even though I knew it was absolutely pointless. I didn't know what day it was, or what time of day. I just knew that I needed to get out of this stupid place, or I was done for.

"I'm... growing weaker. Don't... don't give up."

"How am I supposed to get out of here?"

But she didn't reply. I bet it had taken her all her energy to say those few words. We were both in a terrible situation.

My stomach growled again, a reminder of how starved I was. I fought against the restraints, the miniature battle the only thing keeping me entertained. I figured it was morningish, because the man had left, and I could hear those footsteps coming closer. The door opened with a creak, and I looked at him.

"You are not who you think you are."

"Can you stop already? It has been two weeks! Can't you just let me go?"

"You are not a soldier of the shifters."

"I am."

"You are not a soldier of the shifters."

"I am. Now shut up, please, and let me go."

"You are not a soldier of the shifters." he repeated.

I am. I kept repeating that single thought throughout my mind, even though exhaustion tried to unfocus me. I felt myself growing drowsier, but I tried to jolt myself awake. I was surprised they hadn't been sending those electric jolts like all those other times I had tried to sleep.

Something was off. Well, other than the obvious things like being stuck in this stupid place. I was trying to figure it out, but my sleep deprived mind wasn't much help. I could hear the man repeating those words. It was irritating, and you have no idea how hard I was trying to hold off swear-fest.

I muttered a few insults under my breath, not caring if they heard. I could feel my eyes closing, but this time, I fought to keep them open. This was like one of those all nighters I used to have - alright, still do, well, did until a month or two ago - with Trinity, and I had to stay awake. At those, first person to fall asleep would get their face covered in whipped cream. Except, punishment for falling asleep here could be much worse.

I tried to keep my eyes open, trying to keep my hands up against the restraints. Maybe it would keep me awake, and though the pain was burning me all throughout my body, I kept it there. It was like touching a hot stove, except that these were restraints. My hands clenched into fists, but it was going to keep me awake. And I needed to stay awake.

The man's words grew louder. I felt a growl of irritation rise up in my throat, and I muttered a few words.

"You are not who you think. You are not a soldier of the shifters. You are not on their side."

So I'm not like nationwide? I silently laughed at my joke. Then, my attention shifted back to the burning of my wrists. It was painful, and I fought against the urge to pull away.

Then I did. Once the pain subsided, it was still sore, but it had jolted me awake. But even that had worn off. I could feel my eyes closing, and I heard the man repeat his words.

"You are not who you think you are. You are not a soldier of the shifters."

My eyes locked shut. I fell asleep.

Soon, I awakened. I could hear the man speaking, and he had a certain confidence in his voice. Was he right? Had the shifters decieved me? I mean, I was fairly certain that they hadn't, but the way that the man was speaking was making me second guess myself.

If they were on my side, and I was on theirs, then shouldn't they have rescued me by now?

I looked at the man, who was repeating those words over and over again. Was I on their side? Were they on mine? And if I wasn't who I seemed, then who was I? I mean, I was fairly sure of the knoledge I had, but was that man right? And what if he was? Then what?

I didn't know what to do. I was leaning toward what I had known, that I was with the shifters. But he seemed so sure of himself.

Then, the rumbling started. It seemed to shake the ground - and myself - to the core. I could see cracks starting to form on the floor.

Then, it all stopped, and someone - actually, several people - bounded toward the door.

It was a group of shifters. Trinity, her parents, my father; and Tyler was leading them.

A/N- Yup. So, if nobody understood the end of the previous chapter, it basically is saying that she wasn't expecting to be stuck there for two weeks, but she was. Just a little clarification.

So, look at the media. You may have seen it in The Rantings of a Pride Heart. Yeah, I made a cover, and I was wondering whether to use it or not.

Please vote, comment, share, and I'll see you all in the comments! Bye for now!