Chapter 27

Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.

-Rabindranath Tagore

______

"Madelyn... Madelyn..." said a voice. My eyes snapped open to see that it was Tyler. I got into a sitting position.

"Lemme guess, it's my shift?" He nodded. I got up, stretching "Alright, I'm getting up. I'll wake you when the hour's up."

He nodded again, laying down and it seemed that he had fallen asleep almost instantly.

I looked at my dad. I wanted to trust him, but I didn't know if I could. I mean, he's my dad, but it's hard to know what to do. He had betrayed me. And that hurts, for those of you who haven't felt like they've been slapped in the face with a wet fish. My gut and my heart told me to trust him, and I wanted to follow them, but my mind was telling me all the ways he could turn on me and stab me in the back. It was hard to know which decision to make.

I sighed, glancing at my dad.

"Madelyn, it'll be alright. I mean; he took a bullet to the leg for you! If that's not caring, then I don't know what is. Do you want to be forced to work for the hunters and kill innocents? He wanted to protect you, and that was the cost of that. He's on your side now."

"But how can I be entirely sure that he won't turn on me when my mind keeps giving me ways he could?"

"You're being paranoid, Madelyn," replied Ashlea "That's what happens when you feel someone has betrayed you; I'd know. But your father was doing it to protect you! And he's on your side now; you can trust him. Believe me."

"And I do. But I'll still be watching just in case he turns his back on us. Just for a week or two. Then we'll know if he's truly on our side."

I waited, yawns escaping my lips every few minutes, showing my sleep deprivation. But I had to watch my father, to ensure my safety and Tyler's.

"You really care about Tyler, don't you?"

I could feel heat rising to my cheeks. "No, I don't."

"Denial."

"It's not denial if I don't have feelings for him."

"Oh, but you do."

"I don't. Now be quiet so I can focus."

"Fine, fine."

It was around the end of my shift when something started to happen. As the sun rose, a change started to overtake my father. I watched in horror as his ears changed from human to wolf and creeped up his head. I leapt back in surprise, then nudged Tyler.

"What is it Madelyn?" he asked groggily.

"Look." I replied.

He rose his head, and then I saw an alarmed expression cross his face.

"What's happening?"

"I don't know. But it's best if we wake him."

"I don't know; is your dad a calm sort of guy?"

"Normally. There was the time when he and my mom shot at me, but that was an act. Other than the times when he was acting, he's been calm."

"Is he the really protective kind of dad who doesn't like you to date?"

"He's been bit by a little bug..."

"Called insanity,"

"Called love."