Chapter Twenty-Eight: Blue Eyes

Начните с самого начала

“You wouldn’t. You love her.”

“Ah yes, that I do. But after I kill her, I’ll kill myself. Still… no justice.”

“What do you want, Sandor? You want money? Why do you have to hostage my sister?” Summer demanded angrily.

“It’s really a long story – one that I would love to tell  you about when you get here tonight.”

“Oh I would. But first, let me speak to her.”

My head shot up and Sandor turned to me. He narrowed his eyes. “You want to… speak to her?”

“Of course, you idiot. How would I know if you really kidnapped her? For a kidnapper, you are such an amateur.”

Sandor scowled and threw his phone to me. I immediately caught it and I started speaking. “Summer! Summer, don’t come!”

“Autumn? What the hell are you talking about? Of course I’m coming there. I have to save you!” she insisted.

“It’s a trap. He’s going to kill you when you get here!”

Sandor glared at me when I said that but I ignored him. There was a hesitation from Summer then she sighed. “If it’s really a trap… I still have to go. Maybe I could make a plan or something…”

“It’s too dangerous. Just please, don’t come,” I pleaded. “For me.”

“No, Autumn. I’m going there,” she protested firmly. “I have to save you – even though I’m going to die.”

I opened my mouth to say something but Summer had already hung up. Sandor snatched his phone away from my hands and placed it inside his jeans. Then he glared down at me. “I guess I’ll have to go. I’ll see you later when Summer gets here.”

Sandor turned away without another word and locked the attic door shut.

I slumped down to the floor while Xavier stroked my hair comfortingly. “Summer’s going to die because of me,” I sobbed. “I can’t let that happen.”

“Summer’s a smart person,” Kelly told me. “She can think of a way.”

“But how?” Xavier asked. “I don’t mean to lower our hopes, but how would she get us away from here? She’s not supposed to call the police.”

Kelly shrugged. “I don’t know. But what I know is that we should not give up hope.”

“I’ve given up long ago,” I said quietly.

There was silence after that. Kelly and Xavier exchanged glances and then Xavier shook his head. I don’t know what they were thinking about, but I could care less.

***

“Hey, do you remember the time when we first met?” Kelly suddenly asked.

I looked up at her, frowning. I just came back from eating dinner with Sandor downstairs. It was already nine-thirty in the evening – an hour and a half before Summer gets here.

“What do you mean?” I questioned.

“The time when we first met,” she replied conversationally. “You know… first day in freshman year. Claire totally hated your guts and convinced me to hate you too.”

I smiled slightly. “Yeah I remember that. It was lunch time and then you two just came in my table and began bullying me.”

“Yeah…” Kelly shrugged guiltily. “Sorry about that, by the way. I know Claire and I made your everyday life hell. It was wrong, I know, but… Claire would totally ditch me if ever I show sympathy towards you.”