Chapter 16

*Paisley*

                         Waking up with Brooklin and Victoria gone was like, one of the top five scariest moments in my life, probably like, fifth, but it was still pretty high up there.

                        The first was definitely when the Navy vehicle pulled up at our front door that August afternoon. August 1st, the day I was told that my dad was MIA, to be exact. That was easy. I was so scared, I locked myself in the attic, and wouldn't come down until the Navy officer and Rachel were pounding on the attic door. And that's saying something, cause I was terrified of the Attic. I was six.

                       The second was the time when I was playing hide and go seek when I was really little, with my dad and Rachel. I hid in the Attic. None of us knew it then, but that was my first monster attack as a demigod. I was behind a chest of drawers, and it starting raining hard. Thunder clashed and Lighting flashed, and I was starting to get a little freaked out. Then the window flew open, and I screamed. Nothing happened for a minute, but then a lightning flash blinded me, and when I could see again, there was a woman sitting on the windowsill, smiling at me, like she knew my future, and that it would end badly, and it seemed to please her. She had red hair that was curly, and part of it was pinned to the side so she looked really pretty. There was a spray of freckles across her nose, and she had delicate, pale skin. That's where she stopped looking pretty. She wore a blood red dress that was a little too tight looking for my comfort, and ended just above the knee, with one sleeve, and a strap on the other shoulder. She had a black glittery silk sash tied in a small bow around her waist, and she was wearing a sheer red shawl. One of her legs was covered in a mass of fur, complete with a hoof where her foot should have been. Her other leg was completely metal, and her eyes were bright red. A spark flickered in her hair, and it set on fire. She bared her horrendous fangs, and flashed her awful claws, and I screamed. I threw my grandfather's antique World War II knife at her chest. The next thing I knew Rachel and Dad were in the attic, cradling me in their arms. The knife was on the ground, there was no blood like I had expected, and the ground was covered in yellow dust. I never went in their again, until the scariest time of my life. I was two. 

                    The third scariest time of my life, was when Rachel never woke up.  The day after the officer came, I went to the guest room where Rachel was staying, and tried to shake her awake. She wouldn't wake up. I tried everything, I jumped on her, I yelled and screamed in her ears, and shook her until my fingers hurt from clutching her arm. She wouldn't wake up. When dinner came and she hadn't woken up, I decided it was time to call 911. The ambulance came, and people took her away on a stretcher. When we got to the hospital, she was rolled away, leaving me to answer questions with he doctor. When I finally saw her again, she was still asleep, and hooked up to all these tubes. The doctor explained what I didn't under stand until later in my life: Rachel had gone into a coma due to Brain trauma. I was six.

                             The fourth scariest time of my life, was when I decided to run away. Rosa had been fired, and she didn't have enough money to support the both of us. She told me she would have to send me back to the foster home, and I wasn't about to do that. That place was horrible. So I packed a few necessities, and caught a train to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I hitched a ride to the border of British Columbia, with a man named Paul Blofis. He was on his way to a small town called Calgary for a English seminar, and didn't see why he couldn't take me along with him. After he dropped me as far as he could take me, I made my way towards, Alaska, because that was where my dad had told me to go if anything happened to him. On my way, I met Brooklin, who had run away from her home and was camped out a half a mile from a gas station. She let me stay with her a couple of days, before I moved on. She made sure I knew that I was welcome back any time. When I got to Alaska, I met Victoria, who was living with her mom in a small two story home in Anchorage. She and her kind mother took me in, and during my stay, her mom was shopping, and was shot in a mall shooting. Her mom was put in a coma, and Brooklin came up in a conversation one day when we were with her. Victoria immediately demanded I take her to Brooklin, so I did. I took her to Brooklin, and reunited the friends, and that's when we mat Hazel. We agreed to join Circe's warriors, and the rest is history. I was ten.