He walked over to the island, and I set my cup down to reach up into the cupboard and grab another one from the cupboard. I didn't have to ask if he wanted any, I knew how much he loved green tea. I poured him a cup, and placed it in front of him. However, he didn't even glance at it. He just continued to look at me with the expression that he always had when he couldn't figure something out.

"What's wrong?" I sighed.

"I could ask you the same."

I pursed my lips a little, not looking him in the eyes while I took a drink from the cup. "What makes you think something's wrong?"

"You may think that you're an amazing liar, which you are," I glanced over at him, and he continued. "the majority of the time. Your smile was undeniably fake, you seem especially pale, and your hands are shaking."

I let out another sigh of frustration, shaking my head. "Yeah, well, it's kind of a hard feeling to shake when you can sense death all around you."

He seemed surprised, his eyebrows now furrowed. Elijah stayed quiet for a moment, then spoke. "What do you mean?"

"Something is going to happen, Elijah... There's something wrong. Someone is planning, and whatever happens..."

"What?"

"I don't... I have a bad feeling that not everyone in your family will survive it."

His lips parted, and he looked like he was about to say something, when his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and unlocked it, then tapped the screen a few times, and his eyes widened.

"You were right," he said.

He turned the screen to me, and my eyes widened a little.

"Papa Tunde," I whispered.

Klaus had sent Elijah a photo, along with the message 'meet me out front'. In the photo, two vampires were laid in a circle drawn with dust on the ground, their skin a light grey colour with dark grey veins running up and down their bodies. And on their foreheads, was the same marking that I remembered seeing almost a century ago.

"We need to go," I said grimly, and he nodded in agreement.

A few minutes later, we were beside Klaus, who stood over the two bodies. Elijah knelt down and expected them a little more closely, and he confirmed to us that it was definitely the same ritual that Papa Tunde had made. But it wasn't him. Klaus killed him years ago.

"Someone will die for this," Klaus stated angrily.

"Remarkably, I don't disagree," Elijah said, standing up from his crouching position. "However, I would like to know where they learned such dark magic. I had hoped never to see that symbol again."

"I recall it as the signature of a fool who once stood against us."

"Yes, and I recall it as the signature of a man who almost murdered half of the city's supernatural population," I said, sighing. "We need to take care of this, and we need to take care of it now."

Klaus nodded, seeming slightly annoyed by the situation. "Clearly, some upstart witch is salvaging old tricks. I'll do for him as I did the other," he called Diego's name, and he came over to Klaus. "When night falls, I want you to gather every vampire in the quarter, get me the head of whoever did this, and put it on a stick."

"Yeah, that's gonna be a problem," Diego said, and for one of the few times I had known him, I saw fear in his eyes. "Everyone's freaked out, man. We haven't had witches killing vampires in a long time. Marcel made sure of that."