#16, Family dinner

Start from the beginning

Returning to the situation, she said, "I'm Tamira. It's nice to meet you." She held up her hand and was pleasantly surprised to feel the boy's little one squeezing her fingers shortly before letting go again. "That's a great dinosaur you have there," she added, pointing to the toy that Davi was hugging closely.

The boy grinned and almost shoved the toy into Tamira's face. "You can play with it," he said.

Tamira eyed Neymar shortly and he nodded, though she could see the slight hesitation and reluctance before he did so. "Thank you," she said to Davi and took the dinosaur. Before she knew what she was saying, her mouth opened to release the following words. "How about we play together after dinner? Would that be okay with you?"

She had no idea where the suggestion came from. In all honesty, all Tamira really wanted was to get the hell out of here as quickly as possible. She definitely hadn't planned on staying after dinner and play with Neymar's son. Well Neymar Junior's son. She didn't want to play with Neymar's son.

Her mother was right. This WAS going to be confusing as hell, wasn't it? God, her brain would surely twist into knots before she figured how to call these men that she was stuck with in her life.

Despite her being practically a stranger, Davi nodded enthusiastically, grinning from ear to ear. He wriggled out of Neymar's embrace and the footballer sat him down on the ground. Immediately, Davi grabbed a hold of Tamira's hand, pulling her outside through the glass doors, blabbing about where he liked to play in the garden. Then he switched to Portuguese and Tamira threw Neymar an amused look, not understanding one word of what the boy was telling her about. Neymar only chuckled, shouting something at his son – probably a reminder to speak Spanish again. He wouldn't tell his son to kill her and get rid of her body now, would he?

Tamira shook her head as she followed Davi around the garden. She seriously needed to learn some Portuguese!

------

Emilia nudged Neymar (Senior) in the side, nodding in the direction of where Tamira was sitting on the ground with Davi, playing with some toy dinosaurs and making roaring noises that had the little boy giggle every time she made them. Rafaella was sitting with them, not really taking part of the game, but watching the interaction with a wide smile on her face.

"Will you look at that, huh?" she said, smiling.

Pai followed her direction and shook his head disbelievingly. "Well, at least someone gets along. And quite well at that." He turned to look where Neymar was sitting with Gil and Emma by the side of the pool, talking and laughing about whatever Gil had just said. But once in a while, Neymar would throw a glance over his shoulder, keeping an eye on his son and the girl he supposedly didn't like very much, a thoughtful look on his face, which changed to a scowl whenever Tamira caught him looking.

Pai knew that look – his son was worried. He was wondering about what Davi could possibly see in his latest playmate that he apparently couldn't. That he could grow attached to someone he didn't particularly like.

Or maybe he did, but didn't want to admit it, Pai mused. There was something in the way his son kept eyeing the Australian girl that he couldn't quite put a finger on.

Emilia scoffed. "Thank God they put some distance between themselves for dessert," she said, taking a bite off the strawberry covered in chocolate in her hand. They had chocolate fondue with fruits. "I'm not sure I would have survived another round."

Pai winced. "Makes you rethink your family dinner ideas, doesn't it?"

Emilia shook her head. "No, it makes me want to make them get along that much more."